Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just saw a 1985 Volvo 740 GLE with guess what only 35K original miles on the car...everything is in showroom cond.....its practically a brand new car.....leather IMMACULATE paint and everything in PERFECT cond....the price u say?? 7500 he wants it for.....what do u think??

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
A twenty year old car travelling 35k's would be very hard to determine the value of the perceived life left in the car. It is the perceived life left in the car which you are actually buying and paying for.

One way to determine that value is to advertise the car at the asking price. If, after two weeks there are no offers-that simply tells the seller that the market does not see the car as a bargain. Remember until it is a bargain-it will not sell.

If I were to buy the car in those circumstances, I would ask the local Volvo agent to assess the car mechnically and price up all the mechnical work needing to be done-like replace brake hoses etc. You already know the list-I hope.

Give the seller his asking price less the cost of the repairs/maintenance, minus another thousand dollars just to be on the safe side. That actually is the value of the car.

Take a bottle of scotch with you when you offer him the choice:

what would he like

The Dollar Fifty

or a

Bic Pen!!

Take my remarks for what they are worth to you. It is commentary only.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i took it to the dealership here in omaha and they said that absolutely nothing is needed to be repaired or replaced. perfect car they say.. has been in no accidents....but my question is...7500?? i ran a kbb on it and the car is only worth 1800 with that cond and those miles...idk if i can drop that guy down to maybe 2500?? cause thats crazy high...

·
Registered
116 Posts
If everything is as appears, i think 4000 or 5000 is more than fair, I mean think about it...
These cars last well in excess of 250,000 miles with little maintenance.
It will last longer than most new cars that you would pay 20,000 to 30,000 dollars for.
The GLE model is real nice with the leather and all that power gear....a real luxury steal at 4 grand.
While it would be nice to get a great deal on anything(2000 to 3000) you have to calculate how much bang for your buck you will get.
I seriously doubt you could buy another car that will last as long as this one for as good a price.
We all know how reliable these cars are!

If you can get it for $4000 - $5000 buy it...or I will.

ps where is this car located?
haha

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I woud say about 4 to 5k if all else fails and you can't get him to budge offer 5,500 or you will walk away.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah maybe 4-5K cause i think 7500 is crossin the line. lol i wanna buy it!!! lol its where im located now....but im gonna take another look at this car before actually buying it...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Keep us posted.
Look in your local papers and online locally and see what they go for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts