Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my headlight aim has dropped a fair bit. Is there an easy way to adjust these without getting the dealer to do it?

Thanks in advance.

brianf

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I haven't looked at mine specifically, but there are usually two adjustment screws around the headlight mount. One is for horizontal and one is for vertical adjustment. You can normally tell what they are for by looking, as they are in a slot that allows adjustment. The other way to tell is to turn the screw and watch for the headlight to move. If I get a chance today I'll look at mine and see if I can spot them and post again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why not go to the dealer and have them do it, should not cost anything. At the price of those headlights I would not want to mess with them, high voltage, gases no thanks(xenon). This way if it goes wrong down the road they are responsible as there is history of a problem.
There is an adjustment period on the cars for things like that along with squeaks and rattles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that they should be a dealer item and in fact they are still under warrenty but it is a pain for me to get there.

I think you have to adjust them by the control box and leveling sensor in the trunk????

brianf

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(jks2 @ Jul 19 2005, 08:17 AM)I haven't looked at mine specifically, but there are usually two adjustment screws around the headlight mount.
[snapback]11600[/snapback]​

I don't think the xenons work that way. I think there is an adjustment in the trunk. Some sort of leveling device.

brianf

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
This got me to go look at mine. If u look down into the headlight assembly there is a white nub near the middle(I dont know what else to call it). If u take a small socket the headlight is adjustable for up and down. If there is one for left and right I didnt see it or realize I was looking at it.

I looked in the trunk for the leveling sensor. I took all the panels off I could and I didnt see anything that looked like one, (not that I would know anyway) but I was already able to adjust the headlights from that nub I mentioned.

At first I thought the headlights were moving when I turned them on, but it was just the Xenon warming up, because they stayed at the same spot that I marked on the wall.

I checked my owners amanual...All it says for Xenons is that the dealer should always change the bulb due to Mercury (YIKES) in them, and the dealer should adjust them. It didnt even say where the adjustment is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same problem, and it took two trips to one dealership (who I learned through this ordeal that they are incompetent) and a third to a new dealership to get it fixed. There is in fact a sensor in the car that adjusts the pitch of the HID headlights, but it's supposedly on the rear axle. My sensor went bad when I was parked uphill on my driveway...therefore, I only got 90' of headlight coverage when the lowbeams were on. This is something that the dealership will have to take care of for you.

Don't mess with the adjustment screws on the side of the headlights, because they change the left-right aim of the beams.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi there, there was a fault with xenon's after 7months from delivery and they replaced them free of charge in the UK. sensor went and they replaced both under warranty.

Might be something to do with the hard ride

J from the UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts