Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I'm getting the run around from the dealer and getting frustrated

Is there a way to program the key fob to return to a specific seat setting when the car is unlocked with a fob?

Can one fob be programmed to seat setting 1 and the other to seat setting 2?

I feel like we are always fighting the seat....my husband and I each drive the car daily and the seat always returns to the "wrong" setting. When hubby drives the car he moves the seat to his setting....locks it...when he returns and unlocks the car it returns to my seat setting. Same thing happens to me when I get in after he has driven it.

Dealer gave me a set of steps that was supposed to progam the seat and mirror settings to a specific fob....but it did not work.

It is driving me nuts!!! Any suggestions???

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
As long as the key fobs are programed into positions 1,2,3, they should remember the seat position and mirror position.Each key fob will remember the last position the car was locked with using the key fob.Are you sure you aren't mixing up the key fobs?It only remembers the last position it was in when it was lock using the key fob(remote).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definately not mixing them up......

I thought it stored the last settings used when it was locked with that specific fob. Am I wrong?

It seems to only remember the last setting that was used when it was locked in general....not fob specific.

In other words if I get in the car, resposition the seat using the buttons...get out...lock the car...return and unlock (all with the same fob) the seat returns to hubby's setting. Now if I lock it a second time with that same fob it will remain with my setting.

I'm used to what I used to had in my Explorer. Each fob was seperate....one was programmed for my settings and one for his. As long as he used his fob I never have to deal with his settings.

Like I said before...I just feel like I'm always fighting the seat. There has to be a better way....this is crazy!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Thats the way it is supposed to work.The remote remembers the last seat position it was locked with.If you are using your remote it should remember your seat and mirror position.If your husband uses his remote it should remember his seat position.Then when you unlock with your remote it should return to your setting.

Yes it is very confusing I had to deal with this many times.Alot of time once I showed customers how it worked then they got it working from there.

Have you tryed standing by the car with both remotes and lock it with yours and then unlock it with his open the door and see if it returns to his setting after you drove it.Then try the opposite.Once and a while One setting will not remember and it will mess everything up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll be following, with interest, how you resolve this. It sounds like your problem is repeatable and might be solved by switching fobs.

I have a similar problem but not repeatable and have tested all combination of locking and unlocking to no avail. My seat memory seems to work properly when tested within 5 minutes. My fob remembers my seat position and my wife's fob remembers her seat position. My problem seems to occur over 8-12 hours of time. I position my seat, exit and lock with my fob. My wife does her thing of the course of a day, leaving the seat positioned to her liking and locks the vehicle with her fob. When I open the door with my fob, the seat doesn't move. I don't believe the concept or instructions are confusing. I believe I have a memory fault that the dealer can't isolate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE(wjpatter @ Jul 24 2005, 01:54 PM)I'll be following, with interest, how you resolve this. It sounds like your problem is repeatable and might be solved by switching fobs.

I have a similar problem but not repeatable and have tested all combination of locking and unlocking to no avail. My seat memory seems to work properly when tested within 5 minutes. My fob remembers my seat position and my wife's fob remembers her seat position. My problem seems to occur over 8-12 hours of time. I position my seat, exit and lock with my fob. My wife does her thing of the course of a day, leaving the seat positioned to her liking and locks the vehicle with her fob. When I open the door with my fob, the seat doesn't move. I don't believe the concept or instructions are confusing. I believe I have a memory fault that the dealer can't isolate.
[snapback]11922[/snapback]​

I have the exact same problem. Most often it works fine, but sometimes when my fiancé opens with her remotecontrol the seat either stays in my position or moves to a position none of us use

Tip! I havent tried this yet..., but next time it cause trouble and dont move, try close the door and press the unlock-button once again, open the door and see if it moves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We had a technician at the dealer, work long and hard to duplicate my problem because it seemed time dependent. Like I said, I could stand next to the vehicle and demonstrate the seat memory repeatedly. Only after "time" did it get confused, which is typically how my wife and I traded cars. The dealer replaced my seat memory module and resolved most of the problems. A minor point is that it isn't exactly the way "Tech" says it will work in an earlier post.

"Thats the way it is supposed to work.The remote remembers the last seat position it was locked with.If you are using your remote it should remember your seat and mirror position.If your husband uses his remote it should remember his seat position.Then when you unlock with your remote it should return to your setting.

Yes it is very confusing I had to deal with this many times.Alot of time once I showed customers how it worked then they got it working from there.

Have you tryed standing by the car with both remotes and lock it with yours and then unlock it with his open the door and see if it returns to his setting after you drove it.Then try the opposite.Once and a while One setting will not remember and it will mess everything up. " --End tech message--

Pay attention to how you use the manual door locks. The only problem we seem to be experiencing now is that if you lock the door manually (electric button on the arm rest), all bets are off, which is how I lock up many times. I believe that this causes most of the wife's problems when she tries to open later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not sure that I really understand... Are you saying that if we lock the doors, while still being in the car, using the button inside the car, that would affect the memoryfuncion?

In our case, we never use that button...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking at the dates on these posts---over 2 years and still no apparent resolution!! I have a 2008 XC90 with exactly the same problem -- the driver's seat does NOT remember correct positions from key to key. I have an S60 too -- memory works perfectly--never have had a problem! Has anyone EVER resolved this memory issue on the XC90?? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[rant]

I have always hated Volvo's implementation of the seat memories. I hated it on my 2004 S60, and I still hate it on my 2008 XC90. They should have designed it so that the only way to set the memory is with the memory button inside the car. I can't for the life of me figure out why they chose to link it to the fob that you last locked it with, and I really wish there was some way to turn this feature off.

I'll give you a real world example of just how annoying this is. I usually drive with nobody in the back seat. When I have passengers in the rear, however, I often move the driver's seat forward to make more room for them. Obviously, this new seat position is only supposed to be temporary, but if I lock the car with the fob, it becomes permanent. In my opinion, this is just bad engineering, plain and simple. No other vehicle I've ever owned does it this way. I also dislike the fact that you have to hold the seat memory button down until it reaches its final position. Is this supposed to be some type of added safety feature? If so, wouldn't limiting the use of the button to when the vehicle is in park be sufficient? I just don't get it!

[/rant]

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can turn off the remote key memory feature on a volvo diagnostic workshop computer. Ihave done this on a s60 and I presume that it will be the same in a XC90. Maybe the problems that some are experiencing is that the remote memory option is switched off!.

·
Registered
12 Posts
qweempose -- Excellent points -- well taken. It appears from your comments that your vehicle actually DOES function as designed (albeit not to your liking). Is that true? I am still trying to narrow down how to resolve my problem because I am used to the S60 and would love to get my XC90 to function the same way.

Your comments about the "non-temporary" seat positioning are troubling, too. Again; on the S60 the position becomes only "permanent" when you push and hold the "memory" button while "assigning" a number (1, 2 or 3). I am concerned that you have opened another can of worms re: the XC90. It almost sounds as though we buy an XC90 with the caveat that the seat memory feature "we" buy can, and probably will be, different from the next purchaser, etc etc etc. I sincerely hope that is not the case since I truely LOVE my VOLVOs and really don't like to pick nits -- conversely; they are not cheap and we have every right to expect quality in the product.

Raydar's insights re: the ability to turn the function "on" or "off" are simply awesome. Good ol' fashioned logic says 'this' has got to be the source of many of the memory seat issues---I, for one, am going to insist in writing that mine has been LOCKED to the ON position. Thanks Raydar!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is what the tech said at Volvo. you have to get in the car by opening the doors with your remote. Close the door with the remote. Put the key in postion 1 or 2. Adjust your seat setting ( Do not use the memory buttons) . Start the car.

The key features he pointed out were not to use the seat memory buttons and make sure the doors are closed by the remote. I haven't tried this but this issue is annoying me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (Rifter13 @ Jul 14 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is what the tech said at Volvo. you have to get in the car by opening the doors with your remote. Close the door with the remote. Put the key in postion 1 or 2. Adjust your seat setting ( Do not use the memory buttons) . Start the car.

The key features he pointed out were not to use the seat memory buttons and make sure the doors are closed by the remote. I haven't tried this but this issue is annoying me.

Thanks for taking the time to input.....an interesting sequence and I shall give it a try. For whatever it's worth -- my XC90 apparently became concerned about my ranting/raving and has "settled down"....things began to "work" several months ago (the wife's key and my key) both seem to be functioning as expected....she drives it to work and I park it in the garage/drive it on the weekends and the driver's seat moves each time. I have no idea what/why. I DID "fiddle" with all the plugs/connections under the driver's seat (there are a bunch of them) and one time -- only one time -- while "fiddling" -- the seat re-positioned. I tried to remove the plugs from the modules (thinking dirt/poor contact) but was not able to figure out how to "unlock" the various plugs from their seated positions on the modules. If I were to guess -- it WAS a dirt/poor contact issue and I would love to be able to disconnect things but so far I have just let the sleeping dog lie. My love affair w/Volvo remains intact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE (ka5p @ Jul 14 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for taking the time to input.....an interesting sequence and I shall give it a try. For whatever it's worth -- my XC90 apparently became concerned about my ranting/raving and has "settled down"....things began to "work" several months ago (the wife's key and my key) both seem to be functioning as expected....she drives it to work and I park it in the garage/drive it on the weekends and the driver's seat moves each time. I have no idea what/why. I DID "fiddle" with all the plugs/connections under the driver's seat (there are a bunch of them) and one time -- only one time -- while "fiddling" -- the seat re-positioned. I tried to remove the plugs from the modules (thinking dirt/poor contact) but was not able to figure out how to "unlock" the various plugs from their seated positions on the modules. If I were to guess -- it WAS a dirt/poor contact issue and I would love to be able to disconnect things but so far I have just let the sleeping dog lie. My love affair w/Volvo remains intact.
I've been trying this will little success. If it was this complicated you think Volvo would supply a step by step instructions

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (Rifter13 @ Jul 16 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been trying this will little success. If it was this complicated you think Volvo would supply a step by step instructions
Know what ya mean....go figure. Get not discouraged -- everytime I become down; I remember all my pre-Volvo days (including Lexus) and am content to plod forward with the Swedes!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (Craig Rice @ Jul 18 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So basically what happens when you unlock the car? Why is that an option?

SAFETY ---- There was a time a while back when several women were attacked
from WITHIN their cars in dark parking lots at night......I don't know----
I don't design these things----I just buy them and drive them. I suppose
the theory was/is that it's best to be able to turn on the interior lights
BEFORE you enter the immediate vicinity of the car (as in opening the doors).

If it creates heartburn for you -- don't use it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts