Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 20 2005, 09:23 PM)What kind of Info are you looking for about them?
[snapback]2458[/snapback]​

It's my understanding that it costs around $900 to $1,000 and that it folds up and down into the cargo area.

If I decided to install this third row seat, it will be mainly used when I need to travel (2-8 hours on average) with additional passengers. The third row seats will be occupied by my 7 and 5 year old boys. The main question is their safety being seated in the third row in case of an accident. Another question is their comfort being seated there for hours.

Also, is there advantages or disadvantages by choosing this as an option at the time of purchase or adding those seats at a later point? Thanks in advance.

SYS

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I really haven't heard of any safety concerns with the third seat.As far as i know the seat is very comfortable on long trips.Yes it does fold into the rear cargo area.If you do some dealing before you buy the car you might be able to get a good deal on the seat install.I have installed many of them in teh past and never heard any complaints about them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2001 XC70 with the third row. Our kids are also 5 & 7. It is our understanding that children should be 50lbs. in order to use the 3rd row. We use it in a pinch, for short distances, but not for regular travel. Our kids do not weigh 50 lbs.

I would not recommend using the 3rd row for distance traveling,especially for your 5 yr old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I added the third row seat to my 2000 XC70 about a year ago. Here's what I know.

The price was about $950 but I got it at my dealer's annual parts sale and I think I saved about 15% so the original price was nearer $1100.

I'm reasonably handy but I avoid overly complex mechanical or electrical jobs. This was neither. You just have to be able to follow the steps in order (about 60 from memory) and be able to decipher diagrams that eventually become clear if you stare at them long enough. In the end I was very satisified with the results.

I was told by a Volvo mechanic that the third row seat was considered safe because the "D" pillar (basically the frame around the back of the wagon door) is very solid and passes the needed safety tests. Sounded good to me.

I have tan upholstery but the kit only came in black and as you end up replacing one of the floor panels you end up with a bit of a patchwork finish but I was cool with that. Either that or you buy a mini-van/SUV to get the extra seats - you choose.

The seat that you install is not very well padded but part of the kit is an extra padded seat that fits over the installed seat. We leave this in the basement except for longer trips. It seems to be very comfortable and I've never heard a complaint.

My son is now 8 and he and his friends fight over who gets to sit back there. There is some minimum weight restriction, 50lbs I think, and the kids will eventually outgrow it (you can't squeeze an adult in there).

I have not yet installed the included rear hatch opener that would allow the kids to open the hatch from the inside. I prefer that I'm there to help them out so they don't end up playing in traffic.

I hope this helps. You'll need a socket set and a few basic tools. Don't rush the install and the worst that can happen is you put all the parts back in the box and pay the Volvo dealer a small fortune to take over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also interested in the third row seat. I have been looking for a used one, and have found some on eBay. Does anyone know if the Volvo 940 third row seat will fit in a 2005 XC 70?
Marechal Brown

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi- I've been looking high and low for a third row seat for my 2005 XC70. Seems they are really hard to come by; something about Volvo no longer making/stocking them. I've had no luck with local yards either. Any thoughts of possible sources??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts