Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a frustrated new Volvo owner, on the verge of complete brand disappointment.

Before a 450 miles trip (one way), I checked tire pressure and found it to be 44 PSI (cold). After consultation with a Volvo advisor and a tire shop, I reduced the pressure to the required 35 PSI. The troubles began:
  • The tire pressure fault indicator came on. Increased it to 40 PSI, to no avail;
  • Intermittently, when trying to start car, mostly in cold weather (CA cold: 2 to 10 deg.C), it won’t start!! A second or so after I turn the knob, the display turns to an “OFF” display, and shows a message like: “To start turn the power knob”. The car starts after a few (sometimes quite a few) attempts. This makes the car undependable.
  • The trip stats show very high gas consumption, ~11 miles/gallon. About twice the normal, and with that the range of a full tank is indicated as 250 miles instead of the normal 520.
  • The (google) map “froze”, not functioning, sometimes showing a message “looking for a GPS signal”
All these seem to be different aspects of software issues. A Volvo technical advisor said that the tire pressure false alarm is known and will be fixed with the next software update. He didn’t know anything about all the rest. Going there in a day.

Does anyone experience any of these?

While going through the forum, I read that someone disconnected the battery cable and this reboot fixed some software problems. Might try it shortly.

As a retired software developer and manager, I can’t believe that a car vendor will release software with poor quality and will rely on frequent updates (there was one two weeks ago). It is actually unacceptable.

I did NOT expect such a poor reliability/dependability level from the Volvo brand. As the “driver” of this purchase, I can’t look my wife in the eyes…

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
two thoughts occur to me,one is that lowering the tire pressure shouldnt cause all those faults, at worse it might be responsible for the low tire pressure warning, secondly all these faults could have a common cause if you were getting battery voltage issues, as it seems a general systems communication issue, so before any other action,check your battery connections are good and tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you grendel1960. Diagnosis probably good. This morning I got to the car a bit later, it was a bit warmer (a cold front is passing through the LA area these days, much worse everywhere else in the US). Everything worked, except for the tire pressure warning and the gas consumption and range. Those probably require reboot and that will probably be done tomorrow at the dealership. On a second start this morning there was a warning with a battery (12V) drawing, that disappeared immediately, couldn't read it. But things work as described above. We are still jarred from this experience, and I got a last warning about which cars not to buy in the future.

·
Registered
2022 XC 60 T8 Recharge
15 Posts
Wow, Arie, you are scaring me - new 2022 XC 60 T8 Recharge, 850 miles on it and leaving on first long road trip Seattle - San Diego on March 1. Been looking forward to the trip, but your story scares me. I've only had one fault so far - one day, about 2 weeks ago, the GPS stopped working. "Searching for GPS..." The next morning, when I started it, it was back and it's worked well since. Unlike some here, I LOVE the Google infotainment system - like you, I'm a professional software developer and I can tell you, you don't want me designing the drive train on your vehicle, and you don't want automotive engineers designing the software. I know, they're probably software engineers, not automotive, but they're not going to be the A team like you get at Google. Plus I love being able to just say "Hey Google" and it pretty much works. We rented a new 2021 Audi Q5 a few months ago and the nav system and infotainment on that was just appallingly bad. In fact, my wife wanted the Q5 over the XC 60 but that rental experience convinced her against the Audi (plus I just don't think it's as comfortable a ride as the XC 60).

So far, verdict is still out on the car - 90% I love it, 10% I'm nervous that I'm a beta tester.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
Was at the dealership today. Their diagnostics showed that a few components were not up-to-date on their software
version, which could impede their communications (probably with the main computer and each other, AA).
After the update, it seems (for now) that the problems were solved.

A few months without those same problems will start to build our trust in the car.

FYI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts