Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a few posts posted by people and it seems that there are a lot of technical problems with the car...

I just bought my car a couple days ago, going to pick it up Monday at the dealership...

I don't want to have to face horror stories on my dream car

It is a good car, right?

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is a GREAT car. Any new model car will have minor rattles or other issues. Most of the issues I have read about on the S40 are really minor and can be fixed very quickly. If you do have a problem, be very clear about it an let Volvo fix it. This is my first Volvo, and I can say that Volvo has been better on follow up satisfaction than any other car or truck I have ever purchased.

I will get off the soapbox now.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should not have any major problems.Maybe a few bugs but thats all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am also looking into buying the S40 2.4i and there seems to be a higher than expected number of complaints from a Volvo car. Realising that Ford owns Volvo also scares me a little.
Is it expensive to maintain the vehicle? for example how much would an oil change cost on average?
Has anyone had problems with the breakpads giving out after a few thousand miles (10,000 - 15,000)? I hear thats been an issue with older models.

Everyone keeps steering me towards a Toyota or Honda for a reliable stress free car, but I really want the S40 and don't want to regret my choice.
Overall, do you guys consider it a reliable and dependable car with little or no major mechanical issues, that you would buy again ??? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well as to the cost of service...Volvo pays for all scheduled service for the first 3 years (including oil changes), but if you want to change the oil more often like I do, the cost is about the same as any comparable car.
I have only had my S40 for about 3 months so I cant say anything about long term problems, but I do really like the car and this forum has helped point out a couple of minor issues with the S40 that my dealer has fixed at no charge

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honeykiss333,

I have owned my T5 AWD about 9 months now and have had some problems. Seatbelt weight sensor, fasten seatbelt chime light not working and a rattling noise from the drivers seat belt tensioner. Now does this bother me yes but overall it's a good car I had some problems with my BMW too. Hopefully your car will be problem free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well...I've had my S40 since last july...and there really hasn't been any problems....the power locks seem slow when you try to exit the car...it seems the release takes a second to activate...but this is not a big deal. Considering it's a new model I was expecting more issues. it's been very reliable and drives great....wishing i sprang for the turbo though...it's alittle sluggish around town..but moves well on the highway. I'd buy with confidence...and enjoy it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think volvo's overall are brill cars. I was in the motor trade for three years working for fleet company and then for ford and overall they are brill. With all new modern mainstream cars the way they are made and quickly shot through the production line I have seen the same kind of silly faults from Mercades to BMWS to audi. Once was left in the middle of nowhere in a brand new Polo GTI 1800 miles on it in 2001 and it broke down three more times until its went back to VW UK.

Lots of people are under the illusion that VW are amazing they are nearly as bad as peugeot and citroen which are just plain plastic crap. My mate who bought a £28,000 grand Golf v6 4 motion and after 3 months was without it 6 months because Volkswagen had a massive coil problem with them n the uk.

Had 3 peugeot 307s with about 6 problems each from non working a/c to non open remote locking. One of them mileage computer was messed up was set wrong put 3000miles on it in a week more like 1200 peugeot knew about it and made a killing on servicing till Uk TV program uncovered it. One 307 wouldnt open at all and when u are in a dodgy place and cant get back in and peuegot could not fix it so in the end got the fleet company to change it for a ford focus never let me down. My sister has had focus's for 4 years and is on her second never let her down brill cars and i have driven Focus Rs etc and brill cars no real gripes never let me down and mondeos my only ford I really dislike is the ka just to cheaply made.

Honda VTEC engines may be well thought of but they dont take kindly to being driven hard but a 1.4 fiesta loves it and no ford ever gave in to my abuse but dam honda did. I killed a Honda 2.0 VTEC Type R at a track day and my uncles 30k 98 Lotus Elise 1.8 with the rover K series lump in it, apart from run rings around it kept and going so honda's aren't the best either.

Saab on my first one now and its gone through two coil packs (no spark plugs on these just use a direct coil) ok but the go for a past time : It has down 40k and is ok other than that.

My S40 2001 is brill full service history from volvo 100k on the clock and other the centre section exhaust going which with the milleage is understandable its has been brill best car I have owned better than the audi tt i had on for a month cause i can get more woman in it!! he he

If you want piece of mind my advice dont buy a car until at least 6 months after its is launched and by 6 months old with a few k's on the clock driven in and ready to use. By this time teething problems shoudl of been tackled and you save money!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts