Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...I'm a brand new member of board....even though I've been using this forum to help me troubleshoot my car for awhile. Car is 1986 244 dl volvo.

There's been a few things acting up on it....the idle has been surging....
Sometimes it will turn over rough....
When it does attempt to start I have to hold the gas pedal down and it takes a few before it actually starts...

Few points of interest:
I've had it a little over 18 months now and...
new alternator, new battery, new spark plugs, new wires, (junkyard) distributor{becuase hall sensor went out},fuel filter replaced, new coil, new clutch.

That's the stuff off the top of my head.

Now the problem is for 2 days it stopped running rough, or idleing high, I was loveing LIFE, then BAM!! I come out of the store, try to start it...and nOTHING, no turn over, but i do get the lights and everything, so power and ignition SHOULD be good. I'm thinking starter solenoid. It's a manual tranny , I was able to pop the clutch to get it started and get it home. Last noob question is , I'm in the process right now of trying to get this rusted starter off, but the bolt is stuck, i don't suppose the bolt holding the starter on is reverse threaded? Alright, thanks for any responses, I'll try to keep checking back on site today and tommorrow.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No they aren't reverse thread. Does yours used bolts that thread into the trans or does it have nuts on the back side?

Sometimes they can be very stubborn.You will have to find heavier tools to break it loose.

I always use 1/2 sockets and breaker bars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see just the one bolt holding it in there. I believe it is attached to the tranny because when i put everything I have into it, the tranny actually turns some. Thanks for the info, I put some PB blaster on bolt last night, and I might go out today and see if I can get it off, using my ingenuity, cause no breaker bar. Thanks Tech.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok...so i loosened the Bottom bolt on the starter, they are situated vertically, the "top" bolt on the starter is almost impossible to get to, I had to take my clutch cable out to get the socket to lay flat on the bolt, and break it loose. But now there's no room to reach up into there and get the dang bolt out the rest of they way...it almost looks like I have to drop the tranny to get the starter off. It can't be THAT ridiculous, can it?

Next problem is, and more importantly.....I coneccted the wires to the starter to see if it would spin or anything...NOTHING. Still. When i look at the wires I only have the 2 postive leads, one coming from the battery area, and one comming from inside of the firewall. SO.....is that it? There was a wire that was connected to the one comming from the firewall with electrical tape, so when i disconnected the main wire from the starter, the one held there by electrical tape fell off completely, and i don't know where or if it goes on the starter. I hate it when people don't do things properly. so...where can i find a schematic for the wire harness, manuals, and instructions all say "hook the wires back up where you took the off". No help to me there. thanks. I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally got the new starter in....may I add, that the placement of the starter, is very poorly thought out..

Still not doing anything.
I really don't have a tester to see where I have continutity in power, and I'm not too up on the ways to check some of that stuff.

Thoughts on where I should check next?

1. Ignition? Would I still be able to pop the clutch to start it if the ignition is bad?
And how in the heck do i get those shear head bolts off of the steering column?? I really don't want to have to drill them out..any thoughts?

2. Igniton control unit? I hope not...that thing is expensive. Any way for me to check that out and see if it is that.

3. Any other thoughts?

4. Can i "hot wire" my car? Basically bypass the ignition and just use the wires to try to start it...that seems to me to be a good way to check if the ignition is out... or is that not a good idea? and how would i go about that?

Thanks guys...(and/or gals)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think you are getting way to deep into this problem. If your car would not start (and when you turned the key you didn't hear the starter trying to engage the ring gear) and you could still "bump" start the car, then the solenoid portion of your starter is not working....either fried or not getting power. You have installed a new starter so that should eliminate the solenoid)

Have someone turn the ignition key while you check for voltage at the yellow and blue wire that attaches to the solenoid (while this wire is disconnected from the solenoid). If there is no voltage then the problem is the switch or somewhere between the switch and the solenoid end of the wire.

If you prove that the starter contacts of your ignition switch are defective (all other contacts must be good because everything else still works if the car is push started) then the cheap fix would be to add a "starter button" to the circuit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip Ice....

I did see a similar diagram on another website, but the one i saw showed the blue yellow wire you show to be red. I have 2 red wires going to my solenoid, I don't see any blue/yellow wires.

So someone changed something on mine, and i'm not sure where to go from there, or my wires may be just a bit different than what you've seen.

Would the red wire, and the "blue/yellow" wire go to the same post on the solenoid?

I'm gonna stop messing with the ignition, and see what I can figure out on the power situation I guess.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Been a while since I changed my starter. I will have another look and resubmit. The Red wire on my solenoid is very thick and supplies power to the Starter motor. It is "bolted" to the solenoid. The blue and yellow wire is about 10 guage( 1/8 in" ?) and it only controls the solenoid. It is on a bayonet connector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate all your help and effort Ice..

Shouldn't I have a ground wire somewhere comming off of the solenoid??

Or is the starter grounded by being attached to the engine block?

Excuse my ignorance, i even tried to look it up, but I'm not sure what a bayonet connector is, I assume its the electrical connector That could be put on a wire, and it just slides over a flat post...(hard to describe, but is this right?)

Both of my red wirers are "bolted" to the post on the solenoid, and held there by a nut.

I might take a picture of it if needed, but this should be realtively easy, I just need to look up an actual picture of a solenoid, not just a diagram...but thanks again for you efforts Ice.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should have a small wire that goes into one of the little connections sticking out the back of the soleniod. It will just slide on there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes..i think that is what i am missing..except i don't know where that wire originates from... bummer. thanks though Tech.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It comes out of the main wiring harness for the engine.

Look for a red or the blue/yellow with a spade connector on it.The spade connector should have plastic around it and looks like a box kind of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts