Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2015 S60 AWD T6 R-DESIGN PLATINUM (2015.5). Been driving a highly modified 2005 Mini Cooper S that is not your normal MCS. Sorry to see it go but too loud and too low for the Misses!
Living in New England is great but we have pretty harsh winters and this new car comes with 20" summer tires and wheels. I'm going to have to run winter tires and my question is, would it be better to run 17" or 18"?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would look for a tire with the same circumference as the 20" tires you run in the Summer, and then consider buying steel wheels (with the same off-set) to match the winter tires that are currently available at a reasonable price (the more extreme the size, the higher the price). I don't know what they're running on a 2015 S60; but a 20" tire doesn't sound like it provides much of a cushion with the road.

Can you consider a 15" or 16"steel wheel and tire combination with wheel covers for the winter, and make the tire's sidewall make up the difference to achieve the same circumference ?

Here's a link to an earlier discussion on winter tires and my rationale for using Hankook IPike W409s (now called W419) here in Vermont:

Winter Tires

I remain just as pleased now with these tires (after 4 sets) as I was in 2007 !

1 - 2 of 2 Posts