Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with windshield wipers on my S40. They do not move when it is set to the lowest speed, and aslo stay still in the mode of cleaning with spraying the windshield washer liquid. They operate at two other higher speeds though.
Could anybody, please, explain what the problem could be? Motor, sensor, or else?
I don't want to take it to the dealer without understanding the potential cause.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Suspect faulty relay or worn/broken switch. Would try to get a used relay from a breaker's yard as that's the easiest thing to replace & if that doesn't solve the problem, I'd do the same with the steering column stalk/switch.

Best of luck

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would say bad wiper motor if they don't turn on when trying to clean the windsheild.Or in the Intermitant function.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi Tech, hope all is good!

Need your help to understand this one please. If the wiper motor works for certain functions but not others, could it still be a fault with the motor itself? My thinking was a fault with the signal/supply to the motor, rather than a fault with the motor, because the motor is working for some of the settings. Would appreciate the benefit of your professional experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

BB

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The INTERMITANT function is built into the motor.It is not controlled by a relay.It is part of the wiper motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, guys, for replying. So let me see if I understand you right:
You say, that the intermittent function is built into the wiper motor, not a controller in the lever on the steering column. Correct?
Then it seems I need a new wiper motor? Can it be replaced by any shop, or better to go back to the dealer?
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If my car had this fault, I would replace the switch assembly on the steering column first, with one from a breaker's yard. If that didn't solve the problem, then I would remove & test the original wiper motor.

On the other hand, Tech is a professional & gives out one **** of a lot of great advice.

Your choice!

BB

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The wiper switch only tells the wiper motor when to turn on.
You should be able to test on the motor for power in the intermit function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow that has really confused me . So basically it can be anything . Relay , Switch ,or the motor . All pretty expensive then .

·
Registered
357 Posts
i had the same problem when my wiper blades froze to the glass. afterwards they only moved on constant. when i turned off the ignition and restarted the car, it cleared. maybe a safety feature to stop the motors burning out? could be something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys well I decided that if I got a replacement motor and a replacement stalk from the breakers yard then it should get the fault repaired . As I had already taken out the stalk before and cleaned it up with a switch cleaner I decided that the motor would be the first thing to replace. As I went to take off the connector to the electric block I thought thats funny that came off rather easily so pushed it back on firmly and voilla , it all worked ok. The moral is check all the plugs and sockets first. As far as I know the plug has never been off since new and it seemed to break down slowly with first the intermittant not working then the blades not parking etc till only the fast wiper was working . It seemed that it must have worked itself loose over a period of years.

Roy

V40D 2000

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Give me a happy ending, give me a happy ending, give me a happy ending every tiiiiiiiiiime!

Glad to hear that the fix was so simple Roy. May they all be that way.....

BB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts