Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone else have a hard time keeping the windows in your 850 free from fog? Even with the air conditioner compressor turned on, it fogs up very easily. It seems as though I'm constantly fiddling with the controls to clear the windows. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You dont have a coolant smell at all do you.That is not a common problem with the 850.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is/was a coolant issue. This past summer I had the AC recharged with freon. The AC stopped cooling - the dealer wanted to replace the evaporater and condensor for a lot of $$. I had them just do the recharge. Every so often there would be a musty smell in the summer when running the AC. Does that mean there is a leak inside the car?

I understand that the AC will help take the moisture out of the car in the winter while in defrost mode - ie. de-fog the windows. Even if the AC is lossing it's charge, I can't believe that the windows would fog as much as they do. For instance, I hardly ever have to put the climate control to "defrost" in my 94 chevy blazer. The heater alone keeps the blazer de-fogged.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE(96-850R @ Dec 8 2004, 08:59 PM)There is/was a coolant issue. This past summer I had the AC recharged with freon. The AC stopped cooling - the dealer wanted to replace the evaporater and condensor for a lot of $$. I had them just do the recharge. Every so often there would be a musty smell in the summer when running the AC. Does that mean there is a leak inside the car?

I understand that the AC will help take the moisture out of the car in the winter while in defrost mode - ie. de-fog the windows. Even if the AC is lossing it's charge, I can't believe that the windows would fog as much as they do. For instance, I hardly ever have to put the climate control to "defrost" in my 94 chevy blazer. The heater alone keeps the blazer de-fogged.

Thanks again.
[snapback]1573[/snapback]​

The term coolant meant the antiFreeze in the radiator not the "freon - R134" in the AC system. Fogged windshield even with the AC is on can indicate a problem with the leak of coolant (antifreeze) in the heater core. It is a common problem with 850. Check the driver side foot well carpet to see any coolant there (wet carpet). Mine was leaking slowly so only the carpet was wet but no foggy windshield.
Heater core replacement is easy too. Here is the website for the instruction : http://www.volvospeed.com/volvo_performance.php.

Ching-Ho Cheng

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. If all else fails-you did not mention if you actually clean the interior aspect of your windows at all. I assume you clean the inside of the windows at least once a week with all the usual streak free window cleaning stuff. Also, if you are having problems with misting/fog, is the AC on with the fresh air instead of the recirculating air? If you are recirculating the interior air-you will always end up with misting. Hope this helps. Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
I found the fogging was just a case of giving the interior glass a good de-greasing, and a clean as mentioned, since then no problems, now the side windows fogging thats a design problem!

Cheers

Oz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts