Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate any thoughts you might have on a white smoke problem that just developed. I've been driving Volvos for 20 years (240 DL, 850 GTS and S40). Never had any serious problems, and love my Volvos. Right after buying my S40 at the end of a 4 year lease term and getting it inspected for Connecticut's emission testing, it started emitting white smoke out of the exhaust pipe when the car is idling at traffic lights. No overheating or other dummy lights coming on. Had the 60,000 mile tune-up Volvo recommends two months before this problem arose. Oil levels look good. No real smell of heavy exhaust fumes. Looks more like warm exhaust coming out on a very cold winter morning. Non-Volvo mechanic in Maryland took a look and could not figure out what was wrong with the car. If this is a turbo problem, how much will it cost to have a Volvo dealer rebuild the turbo. Local mechanic in Maryland has suggested that we get rid of the car (got rid of the mechanic instead). I've never given one of my Volvos up until it has over 150,000 miles. Any suggestions? If a turbo problem, is it worthwihile to rebuild (62,000 miles on car). Many thanks! Mike

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sounds like a turbo to me.

Im not sure how much to replace.The dealer installs rebuilt units.They will not rebuild it themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts