Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volov states, " Volvo engines are designed for optimum performance on unleaded premium gas w/an octane rating of AKI 91, or above." Gas is getting very expensive. I drive a nice, EXPENSIVE XC-70 but am watching my pennies.
(I'm retired.) Can I get away w/burning mid-grade fuel in my buggy? Other than compromising performance with the light pressure turbo, would it cause lasting damage to burn a lower octane? Please enlighten me what the different octanes would do to affect performance. Thanx

·
Volvo Guru !
5,911 Posts
You can try lower octane fuel and listen while you drive.If you hear pinging then use the higher grade.The car has knock sensors that changes the timing to make up for pinging.It can only go so far.So listen closely if it doesn't ping then you are fine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
From what I have read, using the higher octane is more important when the weather is hot than when it it cold. Anyone have better info on that? I know that on my '02 Jeep Liberty it even states in the manual to use 87 octane normally, but use higher octane when the temp passes 90 degrees. Of course Volvo recomends premium at all times but how does the temperature affect the 5 cyl. with the variable timing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.