Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace rear calipers on '87 740GLE. Can't see the number stamped on the caliper. I've seen it on cars at the local junkyard, so I know where it's supposed to be. Just can't see any numbers. I've tried wire brush, light sanding, scraping, cleaners with no luck. Checked both sides, inside and out. Is really that critical? If I change both sides at the same time and use the same size on both sides will it work OK? The boots are shot and the pistons are probably rusted so I don't want to dissect these to check them because none of the local parts stores stock them and I would need to take off the old and install the new at the same time.

Sorry for the long winded question, but I need to know if it work OK if I didn't have the correct size piston?
Thanks,
Richie

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Did the parts store ask which ones you have?

There should only be 2 avalible for your car.
One should be a single piston or a double piston.

You might have replacement calipers on there now thats why you can't find the #'s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tech,
Actually called two places and they both asked if it was 36, 38, or 40. I have seen online where they don't list the 36 anymore but substitute the 38 instead. When you say double piston, do you mean one on each side (two total)? Or two on each side? Mine has one piston on each side.

Richie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering the same thing...I have 38mm caliper I believe..I was wondering if I can go to a 40mm with out any problems...I have 15" wheels....

will a 40mm work and mount the same as say a 36mm or a 38mm...reason I ask is I can get 2 loaded calipers 40mm size for 100.00 dollars..compared to 175.00 for the 38MM size

So I ask ...will I have any problems using the same type caliper just a 40mm instead of a 38mm

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts