Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of wondering why our v70 was noisy a friend has jus told me he thinks the wheel bearings on the front wheels are running dry. He tells me this should not happen with a quality car like Volvo and only 50,000 miles on the clock.

I've talked with my dealer and asked that he contact Volvo to see if they would be prepared to accept some of the cost of replacing bearings - he sounded not too hopeful...

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar problem and it would be great to know if anyone has found Volvo prepared to accept at least some of the cost of replacement.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Some times they will accept and help if you are just slightly out of warranty.But not all the time.That is some what of a common thing on those cars.Also make sure your front tires arent bad and feathered.If they are they will make the same noise as a bad wheel bearing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Just did a long journey in my 98 two wheel drive V70R. Started getting a 'noise' that was related to road speed but not engine speed. Kind of a low hum changing with speed. At first I wondered if I'd picked up something off the road that was vibrating in the wind but no.

I got to wondering if I perhaps have a dry wheel bearing. Nearing the end of my journey I drove through some rain and the noise seems to have gone - although your ears can play tricks after a long journey. I wondered if the rain had offered the bearing some temporary lubrication perhaps?

It's in for it's 80k service next week and it's under a Volvo warranty so all should get sorted then but I'd like to give the garage a heads up....

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Dave, Aberdeen, Scotland.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You sound like you are close.Either the bearing is bad or the tires are causing the noise.Feel your tires and make sure nothing feels funny.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Tech and thanks for the ultra swift response, I'm going to like in here as I love active forums ;-)

I'm happy the tyres are good. Is it possible that the wheel bearing could get some lubrication from the rain as I'm really sure the noise was gone when I arrived home but it was definately there 300 miles earlier. The problem first arose at the end of a drive where I was holding 80mph for about 120 miles - quiet motorway in Scotland.

Your thoughts appreciated.

d

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The front wheel bearing are sealed units.I don't think water got in there.What might have happened is that the rain cooled it down and kept it cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts