Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a message in my text window telling me that i needed urgent service. That to me is high tech enough. Of course it doesnt tell you what's wrong because they want you to come to the dealership to get it fixed. On top of that throw in all of the engine componets and how they are all pretty much controlled by the ECU and you basically have a computer with wheels on it. The technology is great but it's a B**CH to repair. For whatever reason some sensor in my throttle body "went bad" with only 43k miles. so I go over to the dealership and they fix the problem after 2 hours. I have owned a handful of cars and none of them have ever needed anything on the throttle replaced. Not that other cars dont have computer controlled throttles too but to me it seems as if these modern volvos have too much computer controlled stuff on them. They are so complex it's almost no fun to drive. And the more technology they cram into these cars, the more expensive and tedious it becomes to repair or replace these parts if they malfunction. Dont get me wrong, I still love my Volvo but sometimes I wish it was more simple to understand.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
with my 1976 264 I have posed the same question as you 3 times here and got howled down as a heretic lo tech clot

in fact I am not only an engineer but was responsible some 25 years ago for being at forefront of all this EPROM type stuff

but I agree with you that a car [or air con etc] is a mechanical device and putting a whole lot of geek stuff on a bearing or motor or whatever dont make one bit of difference to the mech aspects of it has to round and round

the old engineering saying is if it aint broke dont f*** with it and to a certain extent I agree - we need technology to keep advancing but it MUST be within a perspective which looks at the big picture

I mean when I was IN the industry we even wanted to put a sensor on people's ties to make sure they did not flap etc BECAUSE we saw a dollar in it

there is a happy medium and we need to keep it in mind

1 - 3 of 3 Posts