Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 240 DL sedan that I purchased second hand. I noticed that when it rains, there is water in the Volvo mat over the carpet on the front passenger side. Yesterday, after a heavy rain, I removed the mat only to find the carpet under it was soaked to the point that there was a 1/4" of water on parts of the carpet.

My guess is that this water may have been accumulating from previous rains and/or snows, and I just did not realize it with the mat on top.

I have yet to investigate the source of the water (hopefully this weekend), but what might be the likely source of the water? And if there is a likely source, how best to fix it.

I need to get this fixed asap before I go rusting out the floorboard.

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
check all rubber gromets under mat and open hood and check on firewall for loose or missing gromets. When they come out water gets in. Good luck

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you have a sunroof check the drains.Also you might want to check the windsheild seal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update:

Not only was the carpet on the right fromt passenger side soaked, but the carpet on the right rear side also.

So how does the water get to the rear carpet? Is there a channel for the water from the front to the rear? It does not appear so.

I also noticed that the air vents on the hood have quite a bit of debris in them. The car sat for two years under some trees.

Where do they normally drain to? Could these be clogged and the rain water has nowhere to go and so seeps through the firewall?

I would like to clean these out to see if that cures the problem. But how do I do this? I can not get to this area when the front hood is open, and looking under the glove compartment, it does not appear there is access.

Help!

Thanks, Joe

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im not 100% positive but I think that peice is welded in.You can try letting a garden hose run across the car and try to see where it is leaking in at.
There is a little channel that will allow the water to move from the front to the back.It is under the carpet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you fresh air comes in between the windshield and hood that might be the source. There is an inlet that sticks up about an inch and a cover over it to keep out direct rain. I found that the inlet has a gasket that was not in place. If there is a grill there (I'm a 740 guy) remove it and look at those inlets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: If you fresh air comes in between the windshield and hood that might be the source. There is an inlet that sticks up about an inch and a cover over it to keep out direct rain. I found that the inlet has a gasket that was not in place. If there is a grill there (I'm a 740 guy) remove it and look at those inlets.

Yes, I believe this IS the source of my problem. But there is no grill I can remove, no access I can see from the firewall under the hood, or under the dash.

How do I get to it?

Assuming this is clogged and should drain properly to under the car (is this correct?), can I puch something (but what?) hard between the openings and down to where it should exit?

There must be an easy answer for how to access and clean this spot, and replace a gasket, if necessary.

He says hopefully!

·
Registered
22 Posts
BAD NEWS.........
If the leak is caused by a bad seal in the air intake, there is only one fix: you must remove the heater ("combined unit" in the manual) to access the seal. This is not a job for the causual repairman, as most of the dashboard components must be moved out of the way. On a good day, an experienced Volvo mechanic will take 7-10 hours to perform this job (most will charge $800 or more). In cidentally, while the heater is out, you might want to go ahead and replace the blower motor, as these are chronic failures.

In the meantime, try to determine the lowest spot in both the front and rear floor area, and drill a small hole (1/4") through the floor pan to help get the water out. You can go back after the leak is repaired and plug these holes with silicone sealer if you want.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there an easy way to determine if the leak is caused by a bad seal in the air intake?

I still think it is the inlets for the air between the front hood and the windshield. These must normally drain to underneath the car - correct?

If I could get the debris out of them, then the natural drain of the water should prevent 90% (if not all) of my problem without fixing a possible bad seal.

Any suggestions for how to do this?

Appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with my 440 and found that the window screen had been fitted badly and there was a crack around the seal, when we had a new windowscreen the flood (enough to float the ark) ended!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If this is coming from the cowl (under the grille between the hood and base of the windshield) then they usually drain out the sides behind the rear 1/3 of the front fender. To clean them properly you must remove the front fenders and reach through the openings with a wire hook or home-made something, and pull the debris out. Then you can flush the whole thing out from the top through the grille with a hose.

This will not fix the heater seal, but may make it drain so it does not reach the level of the seal.

If you can stand one more drenching of the interior you might try blasting through the grille with a high pressure car wash or steam cleaner and directing the spray to the sides. If the debris is a long-term build up of small stuff this has a good chance of flushing it out through the openings behind the fenders. I would certainly try this with concentrated effort before pulling the fenders or the heater.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Problem solved!!

The problem was, as I suspected, with debris buildup in the cowl or air intake vents on the hood of the car. I first tested with my old 1989 DL 240 wagon that is headed for the junk yard (anyone want it for $200?), and found out where the water exited. There are exit points under the front doors. I think I counted 5 - 6 when I dumbed a gallon in all at once.

Returning to the problem car (1990 240 sedan), I first poured water in the vents and saw it collect, thus my leak. I then used an end of a coat hanger to move some of the debris, letting the water flow naturally.

After that I tried to vacuum out some more of the debris. I needed an extension for my canister vacuum that would fit through the grill and not collapse on me. What seemed to work best was an empty 16 ounce spaghetti box with the sides folded in. Wedging this between the vent openings and holding the other end to the vacuum hose got enough of the remaining debris out for me to declare victory.

This last weekend it rained for two straight days. Any my carpets - totally dry!

Thanks to all for their time and suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem with my 240 DL....turns out it was a the seal around the front window. I've had no problems since resealing it.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(jdbs3 @ Mar 31 2005, 03:54 AM)I have a 1990 240 DL sedan that I purchased second hand. I noticed that when it rains, there is water in the Volvo mat over the carpet on the front passenger side. Yesterday, after a heavy rain, I removed the mat only to find the carpet under it was soaked to the point that there was a 1/4" of water on parts of the carpet.

My guess is that this water may have been accumulating from previous rains and/or snows, and I just did not realize it with the mat on top.

I have yet to investigate the source of the water (hopefully this weekend), but what might be the likely source of the water? And if there is a likely source, how best to fix it.

I need to get this fixed asap before I go rusting out the floorboard.

Thanks
[snapback]5971[/snapback]​

sounds like either from the windshield or AC blocked condensate - I had both these problems and AC drain very hard to get to from in car or under car

but not to worry about floor boards as if hole is big enough you just put feet down and peddle to give a power boost

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had same exact problem. Until I figured it out mine was so bad that after a heavy rain I could hear water sloshing around under the floorboards. When I finally cleaned the drain holes a lot of water came out. I have never had the problem since. Just remember to clean those out couple of times a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts