Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange vibe coming from ( what feels like ) the differential. Does a driveshaft go out of balance easy? Is there a test I can do to tell if is my Diff.

I have changed my: tranny tail bushing, center support, U joints, All rear bushings (to poly). It is very strange. It doesn't usually do it when cold, most noticable during breaking. Vibe between 40-50 mph. I don't think it is the drive shaft because it doesn't do it at all speeds.

I am baffeled ..... Do differentials usually go out? I have 135,000 miles on it.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Did you mark the driveshaft before you pulled it apart to do the u-joints?If they weren't put back the same it will cause a vibration.It could also be a bad center carrier support.You don't have a bad tire do you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did mark the drive shaft. The vibe was there before I did all of this work. I rotated my tires. Still there.

I am baffeled. That is why I'm concrened it is my differential, what are your thoughts about that?

BTW I changed my center carrier. At this point I'm going to check my rear rotors and maybe have them turned or replace.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1988 240 GL with the same vibration as described. I did have the u-joints replaced, but that was because of the vibe. I don't knoe if the mechanic had marked the driveshaft or not. I suspect not. I live in a part of Indonesia where the knowledge of Volvos is limited, and my mechanic here thinks the driveshaft is 'bent' and is going to try to straighten it for me. Now I am concerned that it may not be bent at all, but just put back in a different position. My question is, how does one find the original position, and if that can be done, will my vibe be eliminated?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tech,

I pulled the rotors off sat. Turned them on a tire machine and they are straight. Next I guess will be the rear wheel bearings. I had the bearing but no seals so I didn't tackle the bearings. Plus it was getting late and the bearings look like they could be a pain in the A**

What are the symptoms of bad bearings?

I'm still nervous about the Differental.......

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It doesn't do it starting out once I get up to speed and very noticable at 40mph. Also while heavy breaking.

I would say that it is a high frequency vib. that is the only way I can explain it.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you have access I don't see why not.Just be careful installing the new bearings.Make sure you push on the solid part of the bearing.I have not done it but seen it done before at the shop.Not very often though.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The vibrating happens all the time, but only at around 40kph and around 80kph. I found a mechanic who "straightened" the driveshaft. Now it's better, but not satisfactory. He says I need new u-joints (again). So I've sent off to Sweden for the parts, there being none in exiostance in Indonesia. I hope this fixes it. Should take 3 weeks for the parts to arrive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.