Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 XC90 ; While driving down the road, we hear a strange noise like water trickling down one of those portable desktop fountains. It remind me of the noise a swamp cooler or air conditioner makes in a humid envirnoment.
The noise sounds like it may be coming from the front heat vents but am not sure. Driving conditions are snowing and below freezing temps. Does anyone know what that noise is and if its normal or not?
Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
2 Posts
my friends have an 03 2.5T and just had the dealership plug up some leaks(not sure where)....they had water leakeage into the cabin from all the rains here in LA and water was moving up and down the floor under the carpet....not sure if this is even the same thing...but there have been other owners with water issues...something to check out.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
When you take it to the dealership make sure you take the shop foreman or the service manager for a ride and show them the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got another response at another Volvo site earlier that stated that the noise was common if I was hearing it out the heater midlevel vents. If the A/C is running lightly as it would automatically in the Sept or Oct. it will produce water trickle going down the evaporator which one will hear. I have not heard it since and where I live, it never rains. Thanks for all your input fellow owners, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in Arizona and hear the noise all the time !! We bought the car in December so it doesn't really matter if the heat is on or if the cold air is blowing, the trickling sounds continue...however it does seem random, not on a daily basis but the noise persists ! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ftoddt, I have bought a new XC90 2.5T since Sept 2005. There is a persistent "lonesome" dog barking and whining noise in background coming from front of car through the dash, its a very distant sound. It's kind of cute, and I haven't had time to take it back to complain as the rest of the car is functioning perfectly. Any ideas anyone?
Also someone figured they are bad on wearing out brakes? Of course with 2 tonnes, and rough driving, that would be a foregone conclusion. Any one with real world experience on that, and what are more suitable pads for them ? Are the Volvo pads worse for wearing out the rotors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had no brake issues with the car but as yet it has less than 10k for milege. My wife is the primary driver and she uses the manual stick going down hills to save the brakes. The pads still look very good. Dog barking whining noise is rather interesting. The only whining noise I can think of would be the turbo spooling up (which I have never heard in my car) but the dog barking is most unusual.
I did have a mouse problem. Couple of the critters were able to get in and make a mess of things. Volvo said there is nothing they can do to stop their entry. So poisoned the heck out of the garage, set a couple traps in the car and got 3 mice and have not had a problem since.
So don't leave any good food smells in the car and keep your parking area really clean.
Good Luck,
Todd

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

Really glad I found this post. We live in Oregon - LOTS of rain - I first noticed the water trickling sound this fall - usually when coming to a stop . (Maybe hadn't heard it before b/c the radio was on - we've had the car a year- used '03). Anyway, now our passenger floor mat is sopping wet and has been for a few weeks. There is no obvious leak, but good to hear others have experienced it. Will get it checked out. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and Hi Lizzy B

Saw your recent post and am pretty sure that you do not have the same problem as I did. My water trickling noise was just a noise. There was no water at all on the floor. The noise was just water trickling over the evaporator on the Air Conditioning and therefore not a problem just a noise. Volvo's are pretty tight and I am surprised that your floors are wet. I would contact the dealer and/or post some more in these forums. I have also had some success by going to the Volvo Internet Car site and they have a Volvo America Customer Service who should work with you to try and figure that water on the floor problem.
Here is their email: [email protected]
Just be sure that the water on the floor is not coming from snow or water off your shoes from getting in the car from inclimate weather. If you never dry the car out, that shoe water will add up.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check your coolant level. If there is air mixing with coolant, you'll hear the turbulence in the heater core. This sounds like a faucet lightly running behind your glovebox. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD (2004), I just did a 4-year service about 3 months back. Volvo technican reported no problem. But, now, when I am driving >40 MPH, the whooping sounds drive me crazy, the car runs fine, no warning light ON. Not sure where the whooping sounds come from, it was not happen before the service. There is no problem if I am driving <=40 MPH. Anyone knows what is going on, I may have to find time to bring the car to dealership to check it out.

Thanks,
Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts