Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all. I am a new owner of an '07 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD. So far it's a great vehicle and my wife and I love driving it.

One concern, though, for those who are more experienced in the '07 XC90s...my Sirius satellite radio "antenna" (really just a small black plastic dome on rear surface of vehicle exterior) has a wire coming out of its back, running to the plastic panel that comes before the rear liftgate. This wire runs down the groove between the plastic panel and the vehicle surface laterally from L to R (facing front), then F to R, into the rear hatch. As we ordered the vehicle "Sirius-ready" so we wouldn't have to worry about any aftermarket installs when we returned to the States, I was hoping to find out if this exposed wire was normal. I would have figured a factory Sirius install would be "visible-wires-free", leaving just the black plastic antenna dome visible.

View of top of XC90:
[attachmentid=2692]

Closer in:
[attachmentid=2693]

Any advice is appreciated. Pictures are attached as my description may be hard to follow. I did scan through the forum topics and didn't see one along these lines...didn't want to waste anyone's time.

Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not sure why Volvo would do this, I have seen other XC-90's like this as well. I am getting ready to install a Sirius system in our XC-90, which we have had for about a month. From what I have seen, the normal terrestrial radio antenna is hidden under a plastic insert at the rear of the roof. The plastic is RF transparent and when equipped, the factory navigation system antenna is apparently mounted there as well. So it would appear that it can receive satellite signals under the plastic insert as well. As I understand it, there is a metal mounting bracket to support the antenna that would seem to be a good location to mount a magnetic satellite antenna out of sight. Here are a couple of links that may be useful. One has a great photo of the antenna system.

http://www.me-mag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=153

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74584ul

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked at the links you provided and thought the answer that ophidia31 came up with would work until I realized that to use the Sirius FM adaptor you need to connect the adaptor inline between the car and antenna and then the adaptor to Sirius. The way he explains it he is only tapping into the goofy connector and not adaptor to radio. Only after installing a Sportster 4 Sirius this weekend I relized how difficult Volvo made it to have good quality sound in the XC90! It will take a frustrated owner to solve this problem I'm sure. Volvo's answer; buy a 2007! If you come up with a solution to better reception via FM modulator, antenna extender or whatever please post it here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't even picked up my new XC-90 yet, but I'm wondering about the dealer installed Sirius (and Bluetooth too). I've opted to have both done before I pick up the vehicle. Did you have your's installed by the dealership where you bought your car? How are the sound quality & signal strength? Do you ever loose signal? I looked at the pictures you posted - is the wire visible anywhere else on the vehicle - or just on the top as it comes out of the little dome antenna thingy?

Did you have Bluetooth installed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had the Sirius installed as a factory option but the "aftermarket look" (exposed wire) made me wonder if my dealer had added it on afterward (i.e. "oops, we forgot to order Sirius from the factory, let's add it on now"). I knew that if I asked they'd give me the answer I wanted to hear: That that's how factory-installs of Sirius on the '07 XC90s looks, so I figured I'd ask the forum and get the real answer. The wire is only visible on the very top as it exits the dome, but runs down the channel b/t the black plastic ceiling panel (exterior) perpendicular to the length of the truck, then rearward on the passenger side along the side rail and into teh rear hatch door.

I can't say much on signal strength b/c I am living overseas (England) until this summer...can't test out the Sirius or satnav until we return to the States.

No Bluetooth on our model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get my Sirius installed tomorrow on my XC-90. The dealership confirmed that I'll only see the little bubble antenna and a small portion of the wire - as in the picture above. I'll post back after I see and hear the results!

I had originally opted for the Bluetooth as well, but I changed my mind after seeing pics at the dealership. The Bluetooth looks really bad and VERY aftermarket. It's not hardwired into the vehicle either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm the owner of an 07 xc90 and I'm asking the dealer to install Sirius. I'm trying to figure out where the sirius plays from. Is it through the nav system, the existing radio or do they bolt on an additional module? Any thoughts are helpful in respect to this product...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have a newly purchased S60 with the "Sirius Ready" option. I cant seem to find any info anywhere regarding an install kit that I could purchase. WHY you ask? Because my dealer wants $855 to add Sirius, on top of the $95 option that was already part of my new car. What a rip off!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All: I have a 2005 S60R that was factory sat prepped, found a company selling refurbished factory units on E-bay starting at $29, got mine for $122, installs easily into the trunk behind a cover, did not have to have the dealer do any programming of the radio head unit, and am getting free Sirius radio to boot, not sure how long though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2011 XC90 with satellite radio. I was washing the vehicle yesterday and, while standing on a step-stool to reach the top, I noticed the satellite antenna looks like an after-market installation. There is a little plastic dome that sits on top and a black wire running back from it. The wire then runs along the edge of the black plastic panel on top, and the alongside the luggage rack. I know for a fact that the vehicle came directly from the factory in this condition.

Does anyone know why Volvo would do satellite radio installations in this manner? This seems very strange. For a factory installation, I would have thought Volvo would have put all wiring internal (behind the headliner), versus having it exposed in this manner. This is bizarre to me, considering what these vehicles cost...and the "quality and durability" that the Volvo name stands for. I am perplexed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have a newly purchased S60 with the "Sirius Ready" option. I couldn't find any information on where to install radio antenna, which made me think that this might not be an available feature for my car model or something like it. Why? Because when we went in and asked about adding more features onto our purchase price at dealer was $855! That's crazy expensive considering there are cheaper alternatives out there--especially since most people don’t know what they want from their new vehicle until after ordering one online without test driving first (not suggesting you do).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts