Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Clayton Sorensen and I'm in the Air Force stationed in Germany. I am looking at buying a Volvo XC-90 with the 2.5Liter engine. I've heard both good and bad about the engine from different review places. I'm looking for people's opinions with real world experience with this engine. Please give me all the info you can. I would like to be very informed before I drop down 35000 in cash. I was also considering a honda pilot. Would this be a better option? All feedback is appreciated.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Welcome.I have never seen problems with the XC90 engines.In 2006 there will be 4 diffrent options for engine I believe.You should be able to get atleast 200,000 miles out of the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 2005 XC90 with 2.5T engine. It is more than enough for the real life driving. The 5 speed gear box is much better than the 4 speed coming on the T6 engines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree that the 5 cylinder engine is adequate for the XC. I'm in the Navy and bought it through the overseas program when I was stationed in Naples. I got the XC delivered here in Chapel Hill where I'm going to school for the year. All went well. I think the real choice now is either the 5 cylinder if you want the gas mileage, or the V8 for the sportier feel. The 6 cylinder is in no man's land from my point of view. That 4 speed automatic needs to be brought up to modern standards.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The 5 cylinder out accelerates the 6 cylinder.There is a lot of turbo lag on the 6 cylinders.The 5 cylinder is better than the 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 05 2.5T AWD with what they call the convenience and comfort package and also went with the 17' Anteus Rims.

What I can say is that I am very pleased with the engine and its performance to date. They say it takes 3000k to wear it in so I am looking forward to it as it currently has 1000km's on it.

Recently went on a trip up North and was very pleased at the ride and its ability at higher speeds (150 KMH). Some folks have mentioned wind noise, nothing abnormal for me.

Loads of cargo room to put stuff in. I have two car seats in there and a stroller which takes up all the space in another vehicle. Still room for suitcases and bags.

I really like the level seating to I don't have to get in and out by stepping up or down if you get my drift.

Its a daily driver for my wife so it will be looked after. I also own an 04 Saab 9-3SS so they I am looking forward to the Swedish competition.

The difference so far besides the gas milage is that I notice a difference in the feel of the XC's handling. The XC is much firmer and the DTSC probably has something to do with it.

My only problem is something my wife has noticed since she has a light foot is that you have to "hit the gas" a bit more to get the XC moving. Once your up to the 2nd gear its okay, just the intial momentum thats required.

I know European versions are geared differently. Is that true for the XC90 as well.

I looked at a number of other vehicles as I had a 2001 Infiniti QX4 before this. Looked at the Pilot and the two don't compare. Was looking at the 9-7X and limited availability as its a 1st year mode...too many critics so far. Really liked the SRX as well but price is the factor there.

Very pleased I went with the XC. Happy Shopping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts