Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear sirs ladies hello,
I have owned a Vauxhall Astra 1700 diesel for the last 11 years coaxing it gently from 63000 miles to its current 175000 miles without once handing it to a garage for any reason.
Whilst I have no formal mechanics training I have found my way through the usual oil changes brake and exhaust replacement as well as clutch,timing belt and a head gasket changes etc learning all the way.
Am I being realistic expecting to do the same with a 1999 V70 diesel with 71000 on the clock?
I suppose what I am asking is are there any common engine management or other mechanical/electrical nightmares which can only be dealt with by a dealer?
Would be great to hear from any keen, unqualified go it alone mechanics like myself, especially those who have had problems with this model

Thanks Andy K.....

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Welcome Andy!

Please proceed straight to the V70 Forum, and post your message there. I believe many of the other fellow owners of the V70 will be able to share their experiences with you.

In the end, there TECH
who'd be able to share lots more!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry but I lack knowledge on the V70 diesel.
They are not here in the U.S. thats why I lack the knowledge.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Same here in Malaysia.

->
->

·
Registered
224 Posts
welcome!

I would imagine you can handel most of the basic stuff, though cam belts appear to be a little complex, i hear volvo quote 2 days to replace

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can fix things on your own but the darn lights on the dash board can only be reset by the dealer unless you buy and OBD unit which you can plug in the car to reset the lights. Other than that you can fix most of the stuff yourself. www.volvospeed.com has instructions for everthing.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts