Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone no what might be wrong with my s80 volvo .Its got a knock n/s/f area. The dealer has replaced susp/legs, drop links, spring seats, checked ball joints ,trakrods, anti rollbar. thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have they installed the o-rings between the front subframe and the body yet?The 99's had a problem with the subframe moving to much and they installed the orings to help minimize the clunking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech Thanks for your reply. I will look into that.would that make the car pull to one side, if that was the case its had the camber and caster done on it three times inthe past ,but still wonders to the right.It also has a clunck in the steering shaft you feel it when you pull away, or come to a stop. The dealer looked at it and said it was fine.Its also had the wishbone bushes replaced thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tech Thanks for your reply. I will look into that.would that make the car pull to one side, if that was the case its had the camber and caster done on it three times inthe past ,but still wonders to the right.It also has a clunck in the steering shaft you feel it when you pull away, or come to a stop. The dealer looked at it and said it was fine.Its also had the wishbone bushes replaced thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(S80 BILLY @ Feb 3 2005, 09:05 AM)Tech Thanks for your reply. I will look into that.would that make the car pull to one side, if that was the case its had the camber and caster done on it three times inthe past ,but still wonders to the right.It also has a clunck in the steering shaft you feel it when you pull away, or come to a stop. The dealer looked at it and said it was fine.Its also had the wishbone bushes replaced thanks
[snapback]2974[/snapback]​

I don't think it would make it pull right from that.Volvo had special spec's for an alignment that customers complained of a pull to the right.Do you know if those spec's were used when it was aligned?The noise in the steering wheel might be a bad steering rack i have seen that before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any other thing that would make it pull to the right.What other affects would a faulty steering rack have on the handeling of the vehicle.Would the subframe moving too much affect the handeling. these problems have been going on for the last 2 years.it would be nice to get to the bottom of it all befoe the holidays startin the summer.plus all this new knowledge will come in handy when I confront them.My car also has a pinking noise or fuel knock when I put the foot down could this have anything to do with the oxygen sensors.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Your tires could make the car pull right.If you have a bad tire on the R/F that will make it pull right.The steering rack usually makes noise or something like that what it goes bad it really doesn't affect the handling.Have the checked the lower control arm bushings?The subframes usually doesn't move around all that much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TECH Iwoulld like to thank you for all your help. Ill look into all these faults and let you know how i get on

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tech Iwent to my dealer and they havent heared of o rings for the subframe, but they will check it out.The wheel tracking was done to volvo spec.The steering rack seems to be ok.They dont know what is cousing the fuel knock they said its impossoble for them to pink as it has two knock sencores in them But theres a first time for every thing thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have heard those S80's ping and then the knock sensors kick in and stop the pinging.Some times some cars have to run high test fuel all the time to get it to stop pinging.There was a tech bulletin to the Volvo dealers a couple of years ago about the o-rings I was talking about.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No I don't have any diagrams.Are you trying to fit a trailer hitch on or a bar on the front so you can tow the car behind something?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Are you buying one new or do you have a used one?If you buy a new one it should come with instructions.If you get a used one you should be able to match up with the bottom of the car to see where it goes.

You can also check with your dealer and say you had it installed on your old car.And they never gave you the paper work and you are installing on your new car your self and need the instructions they might give them to you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you get to the bottom of the o ring issue for the front subframe. I have mine off at the moment for the oil pan job and was wondering if i should ask the Volvo agent for these o rings?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts