Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I purchased a 2004 XC 70 last year. We absolutely love the car and have not had any problems with it so far (only 11K miles). However, judging by the overall negative tone of the postings in the XC 70 forum, I am bracing myself for what promises to be a bumpy ride when the warranty runs out. This is quite surprising to me since I based my decision to purchase the car on what I thought was a solid tradition of Volvo's reliability.
I am posting the message in this forum because our second car (98 Toyota Camry) is getting up there in years and miles and I've been considering replacing it with a new S 60. Are there any positive Volvo stories out there that could convince me that I'm not making a terrible mistake by not sticking with a proven reliable car company? I'm not too excited about buying another Toyota or Honda, but after reading some of the comments in these forums, my current experience with the Camry (120K with nothing more than regular oil changes, a couple of routine tune-ups, and a $300 fuel/air mixture sensor) is looking pretty good.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The S60 is overall a good car.I would say it is worth the money.
The S60 and the V70 are pretty much the same car except one is a 4 door and the other is a wagon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is my 1 year review of my 2004 S60 AWD. I hate this car more every day but can't get rid of it yet because the resale value is just so poor. My mistake was never test driving the car.

brianf

Well at first I was very disapointed in this car but you all suggested I give it some time. So here I am after 1 year and I like this car even less.

My fault for not taking a test drive though!!!!

I am being honest and not trolling the forum so please take this as a very honest review.

I have about 18,000 km on it.

It is by far the worst designed car in this price range. I am so upset I bought this car. I never test drove it so I deserve what I got.

Just a few of my issues

1) The worst turning radius of any car I have ever driven

2) Zero rear seat legroom. I mean zero!!!!!

3) If you are going to make a key the size of a cell phone, have it insert into the dash or the console. My knee keeps hitting it where it now is.

4) More wind whistles and squeeks that a entry level Kia

5) The door locks are beyond stupid. There is a single button that does not rock back and forth. Lets say you use your key fob to open the driver door to get in. It opens just the driver door. 2 hits open all doors but normally I just open the driver door. Now lets say I stop to give someone a lift. Because of the design of the locks I must first press the button to lock all the doors then hit it again to unlock them. WTF!!!

6) NO POWER TRUNK RELEASE!!!!!!

7) No light in the engine compartment.

Now they design this thing with fold down rear seats. Means they believe folks will be carring things in the back. Well the fools forgot to have any place to hook a tie down or bungie cord in the trunk lid????

9) They offer a 17" wheel option which I took. Problem is, they don't fit. When cornering even slightly aggressive the front wheels rub. Even my dealer laughed about the number of complaints they get on this one.

10) The heated seats just barely get warm

11) The paint on the leather of the drivers seat has already worn through in 18,000 km

12) This car does not like the wind at all. Very unstable.

13) Useless cup holders.

14) You need an engineering degree to figure out the HVAC

15) They have this stupid feature where the doors lock themselves after a certain time. Wish I had known befor I threw my keys, wallet and cell phone on the front seat while chatting with a friend I met in the parking lot.

I should have purchasd another MB 4matic C240. My wife has one and thought it would look dumb to both be driving the same car.

On the good side it has the bast **** seats I have ever sat in an the fuel economy is excellent.

brianf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Since you mentioned it... how do you like the MB C240. That's another car I'm considering but have heard some bad reviews of long term durability and electric problems. What's your (or your wife's) experience been with that car?

·
Registered
150 Posts
MB is probably the worst car you can dream about as far as build. If they do not get their act together they will no longer be a high end auto except for the price.

I started with leasing the s60 and for a couple of bucks more l stepped into the S80, major difference and l like it.

My V70turbo is fine and forget what you read about the XC, because 90% of the people that come here have problems. If you didn't have a problem you would be elsewhere.

So don't give up on the XC/

Alan

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I know brianf has had many problems with his car, and others to a lesser degree. The thing to remember is that people come here looking for answers to car's problems, which is why it may seem so negative.

But it gives u real world problems people are having, Im sure some M-B forums would be the same. Check out Consumer Reports, and go with what u like.

Personally, I was looking at an Audi S4 and as S60 R. The Audi was less room, more money, and around my area, u dont see as many Rs.

Theres been much talk over the front wheels rubbing. I have factory optional 18" and havent had a problem

There are tie downs in the trunk, although I think their main intent is to hold the trunk liners in place. But thet do work for tie downs

The seat heaters get toasty on the first setting. Ive never even used the second level

Havent had an issue with wind noise

I agree the key fob is WAY too big.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see your point about people coming here with problems. This is probably not the right place for me to get an objective notion of how reliable these cars may be in the long run. Consumer Reports isn't too kind to Volvo either, although I have a few co-workers who have owned Volvos for years and swear by them. My XC70 is essentially an S60 wagon and I haven't had most of the problems mentioned here. Yes, there isn't much leg room in the back, the turning circle isn't exactly all that tight, and the key is just about the size of my cell phone, but I can't say much else negative about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
they deffinatly didnt think to much about the turning circle on the S60 drawing board.... this is my major gripe......i have an S60 2.o T se.....
i had an audi A4 and got rid to get the S60, and i have to say, the S60 is the better car. feels more solid.
my other moan is that when my wife (who is only small) drives, she has to have the seat quite far forward. the steering wheel dosent got up high enough to get your legs under when the seat is right forward and the seat belt isnt long enough to go that far forward,round a person, into the anchor,back round the person and back in to the mechanism.... it jst fits at its longest stretch and tends to choke/rub on her neck.....
this in mind and the turning circle, she hasnt liked the car since day one..... im fine with it and love the car. its aggressive looking and mean. it looks well in black.
my 17" alloys are fine, they dont rub at all....
no wind problems ( only when ive eaten a madrass)
key is crap, the audi had one off these flick style keys which encorperated the remote locking/ alarm fob...... theis meant i only had to carry one fob and one house key....... now i have an ignition key, an alarm/access fob and my house key.... it all adds up.
i have long legs and am a big lad but i dont need the drivers seat pushed all the way back, this is the first car ive ever owned where i didnt need to do this !!! therefor, this leave some, not loads, but some leg room in the back...... and i can assure you , its alot more than in an audi A4.
the heated seats work fine and if yours arnt hot enough, i beleive the dealer can adjust the temp settings through the computer for you.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I have to say though, my biggest gripe is that the headrests arent adjustable. Other than that, Im learning to live with the key fob and Xenons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just about to swap my V70 2.4 auto se for an S60 2.4 T se.I have owned most Volvo models and also have a 960 3ltr. 24valve on a H plate(1991). This has done 129,000 miles and just took 2nd place in a best kept volvo competition,its used every day and is still a joy to drive.But i just love the S60!! What a looker,fast,my S60 2.0T gave me 148mph and it felt like i was doing 70!! Smooth,stuck to the road like glue and no noise!! Mind you i was listening to Green Day quite loud!! Like most cars you will have a few problems or you might be lucky and get none.I dont think any car manufacturer is 100% perfect....including Volvo,but they do have a good go.At the end of the day go for a test drive...most car salesrooms throw a test drive at you.Its the only way to satisfy yourself.There is so much information available now we are all spoilt for choice.It sounds like this is not the car for you,grit your teeth and get rid ASP.We who like will drive on those Volvo miles happy with our lot,i hope you find something you like and gives you the reliability you require.It might even be another more suitable Volvo.Good luck and happy motoring

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 S60 AWD. No problem with key fob, 02 still has a normal key. 17's haven't rubbed yet, came with crappy Hankook tires, now has Traction T/A's, still no rub.

Power lock switch is stupid, but it wouldn't be a Volvo without some quirks now, would it? Previous 960 had no switch at all. No timed lock on ours.

Turning radius is especially bad compared to 960 (32 ft), but understood you make some sacrifices with a 5 cyl transverse engine. Still better than a Maxima.

Climate control, I just push Auto and set the temp. No problems.

Trunk release on fob, or unlock all doors and trunk unlocks also.

Cupholders work fine.

Heated seats work fine, no paint on them to rub off.

Back seats are fine for the kids, not bad for around town with grownups.

It's my wife's car and she loves it. I like the handling, It's much better a car than I am a driver.

I especially like the button to make the rear headrests whack the kids on the head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 S60 2.4T. I have to say that compared to all the cars I've owned this car is both the best and the worst.

This car is very comfortable and is fun to drive. In terms of comfort it's the best I've owned.

As far as repairs, it is worse than all my other cars I've owned combined.

I've had the car short of 4 years with 138K miles on it and I've put over 8K in repairs into it. on a 32K car that is way too much.

When it's running good it's a nice car, but this is my last volvo.

My best cars have been Subaru's but the comfort factor is not there.

What's next, I don't know... We've great luck with our BMW Z3... Maybe a 530XI...

Regards,
Crhis

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would have to agree that Volvo has a high degree of problems and not all of them major. The minor repairs are common place and this is forcing me to go Asian for the first time in my life.

Did l mention that if you no longer have a warranty you might as well use it for a planter.

I see the major problems are computer related and the average guy has a hard understanding why a transmission and a computer go together.

We are getting so computer overloaded that a bicycle seems more refreshing.

Alan

p.s. Yes, most of the people here are having problems but the majority of people with problems don't admit the problems and have no idea that there are Volvo Forums.

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE(EVP @ Jul 27 2005, 11:42 PM)Thanks for the info. Since you mentioned it... how do you like the MB C240. That's another car I'm considering but have heard some bad reviews of long term durability and electric problems. What's your (or your wife's) experience been with that car?
[snapback]12212[/snapback]​

The car has more interior rear seat legroom, turns on a dime, no squeaks and rattles, has never been in for warrenty other than a seat squeak in the first month.

The MB is a vastly superior vehicle for less money.

The Volvo would win for fuel economy and seat comfort only.

brianf

·
Registered
150 Posts
First of all the MB has an ongoing problem with their quality control as does Volkswagon.

Both of the above makers are struggling to get their build up.

Two of my neighbors returned their MB's early and got out of their lease's without a penalty with the threat of legal action.

Pre 1999 the MB was ok and you would have to go back to 1990 to find an outstanding rating, but from there it was all downhill.

The Volvo since Ford got involved behind the scenes has hurt their image.

And as far as the S60 is concerned it's an ok car, small but ok. For a couple of dollars more you can step into an S80 which is like night and day.

I also own a 05 awd turbo and most of the time when either of my cars is in service l get a S60. It's only ok.

Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a 2002 S60 2.4T. It is a very nice car. It is fast , handles well and is very comfortable on the inside. For just 1000$ more a basic comp. mod. boosts it up from 197 to 250 Hp, w/o having to worry about failing a smog test. Some basic exterior work and good taste can turn it into a very nice vehicle. I suppose of all things, the key size would perhaps be the one thing I could never notice !:) It is the same size as a A4 key unfolded, even smaller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody, I own a 1999 S80 T6, it is a beautiful car, fast, smooth etc,
but it only has 78,000 miles, ran into a few little problems here and there but the car still under warranty.

Hopefully will not run into any problems soon, warranty goes out in june of this year,

the only thing I dont like is a rubbing noise underneath the car, towards the left side of the vehicle, (left foot) where your foot rests.
when I am backing up, sometimes I can feel it, it doesnt happen all the time, but the dearler cannot find anything wrong (of course)
Other than that the car runs very nice, no problems with locks, cup holders, nor noises.

Also, there is not enough room in the back seat, not good for long trips. unless is you and your wife only.

Vic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Victor,

I'm new to the forum, and Volvo's. I'm test driving an S60 D5 SE in the morning, and hopfully part-ex'ing my Alfa 156. If I need a phrase to sum up the 156 it'll be "Looks great, shame it's crap!"

Anyway, in my research for the S60, I came across an article/review/forum somewhere that the rubbing noise is often the mudflaps scraping on the surface, depending on the gradient of the road..... might be that? Same thing happens on my old mans VW Passat.

Anyway, first post, and if I buy it - hopefully last post and I wont be in the Problems Section!!

Cheers,

Olly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts