Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just had the a/c evaporator replaced in my 850. They pulled the whole dash out, and when they replaced it the passenger side is not as cold as the driver. In fact; it's not really cold at all. The mechanic worked it for 3 days and could not find the problem. I have also noticed there's some exhaust leak in the passenger vents as well. I would like to be able to take the car back and say: "Hey, try _____". My wife thinks they put it back together wrong. I think it may be in the actual passenger dash unit (the seperate, manual, temp control). I just bought the car last week so I don't know how well it worked before the a/c went out as I bought the car with absolutly no a/c. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is manual climate or electrical climate control?
If it is manual they may have a problem with one of the cables.
If it is electrical there might ba a motor out of adjustment.

Which dealer did you have it at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the manual kind. I had it replaced at the body shop next door to my company. They do all the work on our big trucks (Volvo 780s) and cut me a great deal. I know it took them a while and when I picked it up there was a list of things I had them fix. The gas guage didn't work, the steering wheel was crooked, the sunroof switch didn't work, a/c control did not light up, SRS light was on. They fixed it all sighting a few harnesses that weren't plugged in all the way. Thank you for your help, as good a deal as I got it's still very stressfull to spend that kind of money and not get it right. Plus, I swear it was 150 degrees here in central Florida today!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I know the feeling I am only about 30 to 40 miles from you.
I am about 5 miles from Disney.
With the manual setup sometimes if the cable isn't put in the proper place it will not work properly.
The cable could have also jumped out of place.

If for some reason they can't get it fixed let me know and maybe sometime we will get togehter and I will take a look at it for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow I'll try and trace back the wiring from the unit. I found a couple of posts that should help me out. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get; worse case scenario I'll just take it back to the original mechanic and let him do all the research until it's fixed. There's a few other minor issues: Left turn signal doesn't cancel, suspension feels a little loose in the front and there's a strong fuel odor when I fill the tank. One thing at a time I suppose. I'll report back on my progress tomorrow morning on the a/c. Thanks again for your help! Just curious...can an automatic climate control unit replace the manual unit just by swapping the 2 or is it more involved then that? I've been searching for a new unit on line just in case the one I have is bad and it's seems easier to find the automatic then the manual.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No it takes alot more then just the electronic module.
There is cables on the manual
The electronic has a wiring harness and electric motors to change all the settings.

Like I said if you or him can't figure it out let me know and I will help you figure it out.

The fuel smell might be a cracked hose.Also there should be a recall on your car to get the fuel tank inspected fr possibel cracks.

The turn signal switch will have to be replaced.

The upper spring seats might be bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the switch for the turn signal myself (thanks in part to Ebay!), as far as the a/c goes I have not had a chance to get it back into the shop; despite it being located next door to work. I pulled the radio out and started feeling my way blindly. I found the "pipe" where the a/c comes in and then splits into driver and passenger and all seemed well. I was going to pull the a/c unit out to inspect, but I can't figure out how to get it out of the dash? Help!

Also, I have never seen so much vapor come out of the vents in my life. Unless its completely dry and sunny smoky vapor comes out of the right vents (the ones that blow warm). Is this normal? Is it because the humidity from rain reacts with the not-too-cool air?

I've been trying to locate a new manual climate control unit on line but haven't had much luck. I guess I'll have to cruise some salvage yards. I'm hoping that will solve the a/c issues.

I checked with Volvo and they said the fuel tank was replaced in '99 under recall and 2 months ago had the other fuel recall complete.

So, Tuesday the car goes into the shop for the exhaust and fuel smell, and hopefully I'll have the new a/c climate unit soon (if I can't visually see a problem with mine).

Thanks again for your help!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If it is a manual setup I doubt that the module will help.I still believe it is one of the cables messed up.
The temp is controlled by the cables not the module.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm finally able to drop the car off at the shop Monday morning. In case the mechanic doesn't know where the cables for the a/c are, where shall I tell him to look? He is going to check the passenger a/c problem, the exhaust smell I'm getting inside the car and the heavy fuel smell after I fill up. I can litterally fill the car up at lunch time and by the end of the day still smell fuel as I approach the car. I had it at the dealer to check on the recall for the fuel tank and lines and they said my car has already been repaired (new tank back in '99).

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The cables go from the controls on the dash to the heater box.If he removes the glovebox insert he can't miss the cable.

For the gas smell it might be a worn hose on the top of the tank.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was playing around inside the car today and I got into the dash. I pulled out the glove box, the radio, the bottom knee bolster and disassembled the a/c unit. Here's what I found: A wiring harness, with 4 prongs (female ends) with numbers that match the numbers on the harness that comes out of the back of the a/c unit on/off switch and recirculation switch. The colors of the wires match as well. I couldn't find anything that it would plug into back in the dash and it's just sitting there, unplugged. Plus, it doesn't seem to make sense that if the a/c on/off switch wasn't plugged in I would get no cold air at all; not even the driver's side. Does the wiring harness out of the a/c head split somewhere into 2 parts with 2 different ends? (driver and passenger) Maybe they didn't plug the passenger side back in? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to have all the information so I don't hear: "We found the problem, but it's not related to what we did and will cost you$$".

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is 2 plugs in the back of the control head.

From there some run to the recirc motor and stuff like that.I forget exactly where the others go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the diagnosis from the shop: those wires go to the controller that opens and closes the vents. Apparently that controller is completely gone, therefore the vents stay open all the time. I think it's very odd that the whole unit is missing. My concern is that #1) they removed my entire dash to find this and maybe they didn't need to and #2) when they removed the dash the first time to replace the evaporator would they have to remove that controller? If they did, maybe THEY lost it to begin with. So many questions, so little money!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes they should have noticed it when they took it apart.

If the controls were missing then you wouldn't have any knobs in the dash.

I don't really understand what they are saying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it's been quite a while but I still have passenger a/c problems. I have also noticed that the heat is only hot on the left most vent (2 center and passenger are cool regardless of setting). I took it to the dealer last month, which was a joke. First they told me it was a schrader valve, that the shop who replaced the evaporator shoved it back in which jammed the flap. So I left it at the dealer for the day to have this $200 repair complete. The next day when they dropped the car off at my house I noticed it was still messed up. I called them and was told it was not the correct diagnosis so they did nothing. If I wanted to pursue the problem it was a minimum $1300 charge for diagnosis. Ugh! The original shop is still not giving me the time of day and I still have no passenger a/c. Tech, do you have a shop in central Florida or do you do this as a hobby? Either way, after the holidays (early Jan) I would like to get together to figure this out. I think you're right about the cables; I can't even get the center dial to move at all. Somewhere there has to be a solution. And we need to document repairs because I'm going back to the shop to recover any additional monies spent.

On a seperate and unrelated note...I am planning on selling my wife's Odyssey sometime early next year. We are looking into the 2001+ V70, but I am concerned about buying a 1999 or newer Volvo after Ford purchased interest in the company. Not that Ford is bad, but I am wondering if Ford has any hand in building or designing any part of the Volvos?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
For your information, Tech is a full-time Volvo mechanic... and not as a hobby.

If there is any urgency, try PM-ing him for more information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am finally going to repair this a/c problem, but I am running into a problem with my mechanical vocabulary...is an A/C damper and a blow motor resistor the same part? I need the little motor that attaches to the passenger side of the A/C vents behind the glove box. I found one once, but I believe it was an ECC model, mine the non-ECC. It had 5 prongs, whereas mine only has 4. Blower resistor motors seem to be plentiful, but an A/C damper is much harder to find.

I still can't get the central control to point to defrost, but when I point it down (directing the heat to the floor, it comes out the defrost). Also, the passenger adjust won't move more then 3 clicks off of cool. Oh, and the air stops blowing cool after about 10 mintues, unless I keep it on the highest setting, then it works fine. Looking over other peoples posts it seems like it might be the pressure switch.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No they aren't the Same parts. The Damper motor is on the ECC to move the Vents and temp doors. The Mcc uses cable for the most part of it.

When it stops Blowing cold open the Hood and see if the pipes are frozen. If not then the compressor might be bad.

If you want to PM me and we will try to work out a time and I will have a look at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts