Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 Volvo 244GL 2.3L. The main problem I have is very hard start when the engine is cold. Its been get worst over the last 5 days (before which I have had no problem - even through winter - now its pretty warm around 45F). I have to give it gas for a long while or the rpms get too low and it stalls. If its only been sitting (since last run) for an hour its not a problem but in the morning and after work (8 hours) it does it again. It also has been idoling pretty high somtimes...not very often it will sit at 2,000 instead of normal 1

The other complaint I have is a hesistation I have when accelerating or going up a hill. What I mean is it will have power and then it stops for about a second or two then picks up. It creates a slight rocking motion. This happens all the time but mostly when its cold.

I figure its a fuel problem, I just changed the fuel and air filter, the oil and check all fluids including transmission. Im not sure where to go next. Please be as detailed as possible in causes and fixs.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate any help - Justin

·
Volvo Guru !
5,911 Posts
You should try to get a fuel gauge and install it on the car and monitor it.
See if the fuel pressure drops to 0 when sitting over night.
See it the fuel pressure drops when it runs like crap.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
If you look just below here I am offering advice on fuel injection, but basically only for the K-Jetronic or maybe also the Lamda version [hybrid mech and electronic] but I am not sure if such systems were installed in 1984

can you please tell me more about your system as the problems you identify seem very similar to the ones I fixed myself and I am willing to help others to understand these systems and the fixes

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
QUOTE(The Doctor @ May 12 2005, 06:28 AM)If you look just below here I am offering advice on fuel injection, but basically only for the K-Jetronic or maybe also the Lamda version [hybrid mech and electronic] but I am not sure if such systems were installed in 1984

can you please tell me more about your system as the problems you identify seem very similar to the ones I fixed myself and I am willing to help others to understand these systems and the fixes
[snapback]7708[/snapback]​

but in any case think WUR - the thing on tappet cover called the Warm Up Regulator and as tech says if you fit a pressure gauge [on the CONTROL press, or better still 2 gauges, one for SYSTEM pressure] you will be able to see the problem - but more later

best place to start however is an O2 gauge ie a stochiometric thingo - then you can see exactly what is going on as you drive - I can explain that too

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok..well Im going to look into installing a fuel pressure guage. I don't understand exactly what that will do (or how to do it) but I assume it will tell me if my fuel pressure is low. Is that helpful?

I also put a few brands of fuel system/injector cleaner through the gas with no help.. About my system ??? Its a stock standard 1985 244 GL 2.3 Fuel Injected. Don't know what else to say.

Thanks so much for the help - this is by far the best forum on the web - Justin

·
Volvo Guru !
5,911 Posts
If you are having and intermitent pump failure or a weak pump it will show on the guage.If you can see it when you are having the problem and the guage is jumping up and down when it is acting weird then you know it is in the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
QUOTE(BECKHAM @ May 27 2005, 11:55 PM)my car had that kind of problem and it was the fuel and turbo regulators.??They had to go in and replace the hoses in my manifold. Don't know really if that is your problem though.
[snapback]8585[/snapback]​

well seems this problem relates to a simpler non turbo engine but yes it too has a "fuel regulator" [which is why I asked if a little die cast box]

it is a shame Bosch call it the "warm up regulator" [WUR] because it does far more than just control the 3 minutes after start up

I feel confident that the WUR is the culprit in this case, but we need confirmation that we are still talking pre electronic injection for this car as there are huge differences between mechanical and electronic fuel injection systems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.