Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Q1: Yes, I have taken it to the dragstrip once. I did terrible runs though; skinny tires and no positraction equals constant burnout. My next phase of this project is traction improvement.

Q2: No smog problems, in Ohio all cars over 25 years old are exempt.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
My buddy with the 740 took a rearend center section out of a 940 which was posi.Some say there is no such thing as posi on the Volvo's but there was.And with nitrous and 18'' street tires with stock engine ran a 13.50.Was still spinning a little.He didn't have his slicks that day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Niiiiiice! Did you have to do much fabrication to make the SB fit in there? I/ve heard of the 350/700R4 conversion, but always wondered how straightforward it actually was, and how you figure out different springs, motor mounts, and U-joints, and stuff like that. Is it std or auto? It looks awesome, and make sure you don't muck it up with shiny crap or fancy wheels. Maybe a throaty exhaust would be cool though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ollieboy,
The SB Chevy looks like it grew all by itself in the 240 engine bay; lots of room, and easy hookup. The hardest part on this project was the installation of the B&M click shifter for the 700R4 trans, which required some cutting of the floor pan and fabrication to make everything line up. (On my first conversion, a 78 262 Bertone, I used a turbo 350 trans and the stock Volvo auto shifter worked OK.) I also utilized a Chevy driveshaft, which has to be cut to length and fitted with a Volvo u-joint for connecting to the rear end. As far as the springs and suspension go, I switched to IPD lowering springs, which give the car a great look, but are pretty stiff. I had the local pipe bender make up a rumbly dual exhaust setup, which connect on the front end to stock Chevy cast iron manifolds. It is a driving work in progress, and is currently down for installation of the GT gauge panel, with all new VDO gauges including a programmable speedo. I will post new pix of the car as I complete each task.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts