Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New to the post here with a '97 Volvo 960. Was wondering if when replacing a Fuel Filter does one need to pressurize the system with the valve that is located inline next to the filter?

Moreover, shouldn't fuel be squirting out of the line when the ignition is turned on? It doesn't.

The reason I ask is that one day I back the vehicle into the garage and the next morning it does not start.

I am assuming a Fuel related issue because I changed the plugs and Air Filter.

Please Help!!

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Once you remove the filter you have to crank it some before you get fuel pressure back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,
I am planning to change the fuel filter myself on my 960, 1995. Please advise me how to release the pressure in the lines before I start? (Or it is not necessary?).
And also , what fuel filter brands are good?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The fuel pump(s) in a Volvo will not power up just by the ignition key.
The engine must be turning. The computer looks for tachometer pulses - if it sees them it powers up the fuel pumps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if, like my 850 wagon, you will have a small T valve in the fuel line just before the filter. remove the cap off the valve and press the centre pin to release pressure.
filter replacement took about 20 minutes. just have something to hand to catch the spent fuel, and no smoking!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts