Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

Can anyone advise how to reduce the petrol consumption on this lovely car.

its a 1993-K 940 SE Automatic Turbo. I love the car but its killing my bank account.

is is possible to remove/disable the turbo charger? Would this improve the
mpg at all?

Any other thoughts welcome, or should I just give up and buy a diesel with a manual gearbox??

Many thanks for any help.

Regards
John

John775

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There really isn't much you can do besides make sure it is tuned up properly.The turbo's tend to use more gas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Nov 30 2004, 12:41 PM)There really isn't much you can do besides make sure it is tuned up properly.The turbo's tend to use more gas.
[snapback]1383[/snapback]​

I'm no tech on these cars, but I wonder whether an intercooler would reduce consumption. Bit drastic though.

Many years ago I saw an article in a car magazine about a guy who converted his 4 litre Ford S-pac to a turbo - lpg. His statement was that it was 'ran on about the cost of a ford laser, with a bit more power than the S-Pac had before'...all a bit too drastic though...would have to drive a great deal to recoup the money. Dream material really.

Maybe tuning is the only way. DW

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 91 940SE with turbo and it has pretty good performance. I use 91 octane gas and get about 22 to 23 mpg average. It does not seem to change much when trying to not get into the turbo. If you want mileage, try a GeoMetro!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts