Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This will probably seem like a stupid question to any of you who are technically minded but I can't find the answer anywhere.

On my 1989 Volvo 740 2 litre saloon, I was doing my usual check on the engine and decided to look a little farther than the usual fluids check and looked at the air filter. It was then I noticed there was a hose coming out of the left of the airbox (when looking at the engine from the front) this goes under the engine block and then does not connect to anything, is this normal? if not where should it connect to?

I have the Haynes manual which gives me no hints. Also am I right in assuming that my engine type will be a B200?

Thankyou

Ritchie

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Your engine should be a B230F or B320FT if it is turbo.Is there any way you can take a picture and post it?That might help some.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Splutter
Engine is probably 230F or FT if turbo. Is the hose rubber or metal? If rubber 1" and comes off a larger hose 3-1/2" turbo air supply hose then it should go across to your intake manifold and connect here to a plastic connector. Easily found as there is also a vacuum hose 1/8" at this connector. If it is a metal hose coming from under air filter and just hanging there, it should be attached to 2-1/2" exhaust intake under the ac at firewall. All this does is allow the car to heat up more quickly in colder weather. Many folks remove this altogether in summer months. If you get below freezing temperatures then connect it if not then don't worry about it. First things first. Determine which type of hose it is and look for an air supply to manifold if rubber. If metal, you decide if you need it or not.

Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts