Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1992 Volvo 240 and most of my speakers are blown. I want to get new speakers (all 4 of them) but I don't want some old salvaged Volvo 240 speakers. I want to buy some nice new speakers. I'm new when it comes to anything involving changing something in a car, so can someone please tell me what speakers will fit and easily take place of those speakers where I wont have to do any un neccesary cutting or moddify in order to get them to fit (I don't want holes also). Thanx

-Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2 in the front built into the doors and 2 in the back behind the backrests parallel to the floor. its a sedan.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
the front maybe either 4" speakers do u have a speaker grille that is the same color as the interior door panel? if so then those are 4". if not then they are 5.25" speakers. as for the back do u have black boxes behind the headrests that hold the speakers? if so then they are 5.25"..if u have ones that are right next to it which the speaker is housed in just speaker grills...then its a 6.5" speakers....just check out my car on this site under the garage thing ive got a pic of my speakers are more info on it....now if ur lookin for quality awesome sounding speakers..then get infinity kappas yeah they are expensive but they are probably the only speakers ull ever need to buy ive got pioneer and they work just as good but im thinkin about upgrading it to kappas good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok and how about the amp for it. i know i cant be using that 20 watt amp that comes with my volvo. so whats compatible for that.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
well do u have a cd player in the car or just the stock radio? if u have a cd player it should put out about 200 watt max look for 50x4 watt on the cd receiver. there is already a amp inside the cd reciever so if ur lookin for awesome sound then get a cd player . probably get a pioneer which is wahat i have or get a alpine they are good as well. now if u lookin for lots of bass subwoorfers and a amp would do it but there would have to be a crap load of wiring to do and i think u would have to cut a small hole through the firewall to fit the wiring from theh subs to the car battery but u dont wanna do all that omd stuff so the best bet ur going to ever get good sound is to change the speakers and get a cd player they will produce better sound than the stock radio...if u have nemore audio question just ask me pAce paul

ps, it is hard to get a the ultimate sound in a 240 because of its restriction of fitting different size speakers without modification but with the new head unit and reciever it gives out decent sound

·
Registered
13 Posts
On this note, how would I go about getting TO the door speakers? I don't want to pull the covers off unless I know they'll go back on- if I have to remove the door panel, that's fine, I'd just like to know in advance here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Never mind, just Americanized it- gave a pull till it came off. Now the front speakers are in, but there is a HORRIBLE amount of static/squeals in the audio- is there an amplifier in this car from the factory? If so, I'm fairly sure it's wasted- if not, I guess a head unit is my next step...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont know if you have sorted this out already but,

The rear speakers will not be easy to remove, they are 4 inch and they are rivited on. Knock the rivets out with a hammer/srewdriver combo.

Finding an upgraded amp to replace the stock amp is not worth it, a new deck is recommended. I installed my deck and speakers and I must say the deck is easyer than the speaker installation once you get past the wiring. Let me know if you need wiring details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
on my volvo, which is an 89 240Dl sedan, the wiring is somewhat easy.
Take out your old head unit, and look at the wires. there should be a limited number- there is a green, a yellow w/black stripe, a white, white w/black stripe, and grey, and grey w/black stripe, and a black ground wire. there is also an antenna wire which may have a red or black second wire coming out of it, i have no idea what that wire is for, but it's not a car audio headunit power cable.
green and yellow w/black are power wires. i forget how they go, i think it is green is constant, yellow w/black is switched. check them with a voltmeter for absoultness.
the white and grey and white w/black and grey w/black are all speaker wires. figure out which ones go where by checking the wires gong to your speakers- pull the speaker out and look.
the black is obviously ground.
this should help alot more than you'd think...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Which pioneer speakers do you have? And if they are just as good as the infinity kappas why upgrade? I have a 92 240 (245) wagon. The speakers in the front door have a different color grill, however when we removed them they are 5-1/4"
speakers. The speakers in the rear doors are 4". Wondering if 3 way in the front, and 2 way in the rear doors will work okay. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated fron any of you who have some experience with replacing the car radios and speakers. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
old threads shouldn't be revived, neither mccula or the thread starter have been online since march, so i doubt there still around.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oh, that is a shame.
I found this thread to be quite useful.

I have an 84 240 and the radio cassette player is not the one in the user manual.
It has VOLVO stamped on the front and sounds great, but I cant work out which wires are fo the rear speakers, despite the fact this deck has a fader.

·
Registered
265 Posts
oh yes its useful, and you can search them up no problem...but replying to a post someone made who no longer visits, is kind of useless.

sorry i'm just a big forum geek.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaker problems!!

I was getting 4" Infinity reference speakers installed in the front doors of my '88 240 dl but there is an area of material just above the speaker hole that does not allow the standard frame of the 4" speaker to actually fit!

The original front speakers were not in when I bought it.

The material has (at least) a very tough backing to it so it won't compress. It rises out toward the passengers making the door thicker at that point and thus not giving room to the speaker frame. Funny thing is they fit fine without the speaker frame that holds the grill on. Of course I need the grill.

This seems to contradict what you posted, Crunk84Volvo. Is it because of my year?

Are kappas smaller? does anyone have a solution or suggestion??

thanks! John - newbie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Deckers...

I have put new systems in 2 older 240s. The front speaker frames are a real B*^#$t with teh Infinitys...so, I ended up using a little super glue on the first one.....I was not happy with the outcome...so I put in a slightly thinner Alpine speaker in the doors and that did the trick.
I put 6X9s Alpines in the rear deck...which sounded great
Then in the 91 that I gave my son...we put a Bazooka tube in the trunk...mounted against the back seat

Keep working with the combination of spkrs and coverws...you will get it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK so rather than starting a new thread I'm tagging onto this one.
I'm installing Kappa front speakers, 4". They WILL fit with the OEM grills.
I'll make them. Seriously.
Secondly, I have no damn idea what the back deck takes. What kind of modifications are needed? I'm planning on putting 6X9 three way kappas behind the seat - but I don't want to cut metal. Anyone help me? What's the easiest way to put them back there?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts