Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm looking to possibly buy a pre 2000 Tdi to replace me elderly but loved 740GL estate.
Does anyone know who supplied the engines for the early V70's. As I do my own servicing are ther easy to work on.
The UK buying guides state that V70's occasionally snap the timing belt, does anyone know of this.

Many thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
As long as the timing belt is serviced when it should be then it should not snap the belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I've had a 97 V70 TDI for 2 1/2 years. They are great fun to drive but in general more expensive to run. There is a world of difference between the 700 and 800 series but I'm affraid build quality is not as good on newer Volvos. I have a mate who drives a T5 for a living (copper) and the newer ones are even worse.
Go for as lower milage as you can and try to get a warrenty. My gearbox failed after 3 days and the dealer picked up the tab.
Timing belts are good for 80,000 miles. Make sure whoever services it checks the injection pump timing at least evey 20,000 miles - TDI known starting problem area.
Happy driving Simon - Suffolk

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
When it comes to timing-belts, and you are in doubt => Replace!

It'll save you tonnes of headaches and $$$$ later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ran a 1998 V70 Tdi for 220000 mles and never had a single problem. I serviced it regularly put a new cam belt on at required intervals. Tyre wear was amazing giving 20000 miles front and 40000 miles rear. Economy was 40mpg + always and car was solid as a rock with no squeeks or rattles.

Bought a 2003 D5 and what a disappointment.

In the main dealer all the time for window winder mechanisms, steering rack, track rod ends, dash rattles( LOADS OF RATTLES) wheel bearings - at least under warranty but you pay in the end cos of the high servicing costs! Tyre wear horrendous with 3 sets on the front in 51000 miles and at £180 a tyre thats pricey!

Lost a fortune on it when sold after 18 months.

Hope this helps
steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had my V70 tdi about six weeks its a MKI on a 'V' plate,with 69k on the clock, nice piece of kit, bought for about £8400.

Solidly built, loads of room and enough motor way umph when I want it.
Also nice mpg: 440+ urban and 550+ motorway ( I think I could get 600+, but I was enjoying the previously mentioned umph) on a 60 litre tank.

The nightmare is taking it to the dealership for spares or servicing:
Replacement keys inc remote fob : £250
CD Changer: £400
72k cambelt service: £750+

With the new engine management systems you can change a wing mirror without telling the computer, so I guess trips to the dealer are inevitable.

Given a choice of identical milage and condition V70 or 850, I'd probably recommend the 850, as it will hopefully be easier to get serviced.

I've had several Volvos, this is #4, after several 440s, but the attitude of my local franchise has put me off buying another as they seem to be getting worse for gouging customers.

I belived the V70 TDIs have VAG/Audi 2.5 engines in.

As for the cambelt issue my father payed nearly £2500 for an engine rebuild after the cambelt snapped at 75k, after the dealership said it didn't need doing til 80k ( this was an eight year old 'R' plate ). Mines going in at the earliest opportunity.

BarmyArmy
-------------
jesus built my volvo... its a love affair
dig-a-ding-dang-my-dang-a-long-ling-long

.... but the devil owns all the dealerships

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Sorry to hear of your dad's experience.

I had to get mine checked twice by two independent mechanics before i decided, oh what the heck, for a peace of mind, let's just change it.

You see, one mechanic swore (SWORE!) the belt could last another 30-50K kms, but another one said, he found a small hairline crack. *sigh*

Thus to avoid the at least RM5K cost of repairs if the belt snapped, i took the RM500 way out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts