Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am located in Thailand and just bought a second hand V70 year 2000 (the "squarish one"). Volvo assembles its cars locally for the Asian market and this one comes with a 2.3 liter (2319 cc) 5 cylinders low pressure turbo engine.

My questions:

1) Is the 2.3 liter turbo engine standard in Europe/America? I only read about 2 liter, 2.4 liter and 2.5 liter engines in this forum.

2) I am 182 cm (5' 12'') tall and I cannot move the driver's seat far enough to the rear. Do you also face this problem with the cars assembled in Europe/America? Is it possible to move the fixation points of the seat around 5 or 10 cm to the rear?

3) The ETS light turns on from time to time. The Volvo service guy told me that this is because of an ABS sensor that needs to be changed (cost around THB 2500 or USD 50). Can anybody confirm? Is this a usual problem with this model? How serious is it?

4) The car is quite low for local road conditions. Is it possible to higher it by around 5 cm e.g., by changing the suspension springs? Other way?

I would appreciate your answers/comments even about one single question.

Thanks

cag

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!

Since over two month I read messages in this forum, espacially the ones about ETS. Many members ask about the reason why the ETS light shows from time to time and answers are always about gas sensors, cleaning or changing them, with cost of around USD 1,000.-

I got the "ETS symptom" - and this is why I started to look messages in this forum. I also posted a question about it but did not get feedback. Nevertheless, my experience may be of interess for others.

ETS light can also turn on because of ABS sensors! That was the dignosis of the local VOLVO shop and it was correct. I changed one ABS sensor (around USD 50.-) and everytging is ok yet.

To Tech:
1) Please mention this to future members who ask about the ETS light.
2) Can you explain how ABS is related to the Electronic Throttle System?

Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Don't know why they told you that and why it worked out that way but they are not tied together at all.Even if the ABS module goes down it will not have any affect on anything that has to do with the engine.The throttle module may have seen a fault and the light will come on and if it doesn't see the fault after so many key cycles it will turn the light off.

Im sorry I didn't reply when you posted I somehow missed your post.

Sorry again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your answer, Tech. I shall keep you inform if the ETS light shows again, but for the moment every thing seems ok.

What do you mean with "Key cycles"? Turning on and off (off and on) the engine?

Do you have answers/comments to my other question dd 07.12.2004?

Thanks again.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes some times it goes by key cycles on and off and some times it goes by driving cycles.When all conditions are met that is a driving cycle.Like all self diag. that the computer does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts