Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a class II "Hidden Hitch" for my 2004 v70. Installed cost w/ wiring about $250. Has anyone had experiences (good, bad, indifferent) with Hidden Hitch or Drawtite on a v70?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure if I know what 'hidden hitch' is - but we have a removable trailer attachement on our v70.

I have found this pretty easy to use and I am very impressed by the engineering. the detachable part is difficult to store - it doesn't fit in the shopping storage area - so it just lies around it its tough cotton bag.

Hope this helps

Nick

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you are buying from the dealer that sounds pretty good.Me I would only buy one from the dealer.I have seen some horror stories from other company's installing the hitches on those cars.The one from Volvo is designed to fit the car properly with out any modifications to the body of the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did my (2003 V70), I brought the hitch from web (hidden hitch), and a local shop (cap world), installed for me for $40, and Volvo dealer quote $400 to install it,

you can do it yourself if you have right tool.

dealer may have right tool for other volvo specific things, but for those accessory, it simply does not make sense (IMO) to go for dealer...

you can PM me , I will have to find specific model and website details...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd just assume go with OEM. Might be a little more, but probably nothing to worry about and I'm sure I could manage through the installation.

I like the 'removable' whatever. Is it just the drawbar? I'm assuming it is from what I see of the OEM hitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2000 V70 XC is begging for a hitch so I can extricate my day-sailor out of my garage and let the hull hit water. My local dealer wants $875.00 for the Volvo hitch installed, which beg pardon, seems pretty excessive for what I hear most sailors quote for the hitches that tow their boats - under 3-bills installed.

I don't need to tow the QE2, nor do I want to butcher the rear-end of my car, but I'd like some money left over to send my daughter off to college. Anyone have any wisdom to part with? I could be convinced to take donations to ease the pain!

My best - JB

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the market fo a hitch myself to pull around a small boat. Surprisingly, when I asked my dealer about one, they recommended the "Hidden Hitch". Although the OEM hitch is the best, it is pricey. Like I was told: "it's not like you're going to be pulling freight cars!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed one n my 2002 XC myself. I googled hitches, and got the wiring harness from a web site that i found when I googled volvo accessories. I only had to buy two new tools; a torque wrench and a socket. The hardest part was breaking the factory installed bolts. Total time about 3-4 hours, including going to get the tools.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all from a newbie on this forum,

I have a Hidden Hitch (no wiring installed) on my '03 V70 T5 for bike rack which never got used. It has been repeatedly and sucessfully curb tested (roll off the curb straight and get momentarily hung up on the hitch), plus notching out the occasonal phantom parking block. Good hitch, but heavy. The $200 istallation cost seems in line by my fading memory. It was installed by a pick-up cap place locally (don't remember the name).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts