Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always said when in doubt change it, when it comes to timing belts, and I've had my V70 just over a month and thought with a week off coming up that I'd book it in at the local dealership.

Seven hundred and fifty GBP, or fifteen hundred USD.

Now for this I get new timing belt tensioners and auxiluary belts changed and they said they might want it for two days... so there obviously "some" labour in there.

Any one have any experience/opinions on getting this kind of work done by someone other than a dealership ? Like is it possible ... as as far as I can tell even the wing mirrors are connected to the computer these days...

BarmyArmy
-------------
jesus built my volvo... its a love affair
dig-a-ding-dang-my-dang-a-long-ling-long

.... but the devil owns all the dealerships

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry but im not sure about the diesel models they are not avalible here in the U.S.
But from what I know about diesels they are more of a pain to do compaired to the gas cars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
this is interesting, a family members 2000 V70 TDI has just slipped its timing belt, about 2 thousand miles after its last service when the belt was checked and pronounced OK

The Garage in question has said the tensioner has failed after its first inspection

Is it possible for a valves VS pistons conflict to arise just due to a failed tensioner? or is the garage pulling a fast one to try and claim off the mechanical breakdown insurance? (specificaly, broken timing belts are excluded, though there is a claim limit of £500 which to my mind wont even cover the labour)

comments please!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The tensioners are starting to fail by the time the second belt service is due.
If the belt breaks or jumps then the Valves will bend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should add the car has done 69000 and is due what I assume is its first change at 72000.

Its probably a two day job according to the dealership.

BarmyArmy
-------------
jesus built my volvo... its a love affair
dig-a-ding-dang-my-dang-a-long-ling-long

.... but the devil owns all the dealerships

·
Registered
224 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ May 13 2005, 11:47 PM)The tensioners are starting to fail by the time the second belt service is due.
If the belt breaks or jumps then the Valves will bend.
[snapback]7824[/snapback]​

Bugger

The car has around 135k on it (new belt was due at 140k). Given that the belt was asked to be checked, and that another service would not be due till after 140k, should the belt and tensioners have not been changed anyway?? BTW i dont think it was an official volvo dealer that did the work, but the garage that does the servicing for the independant dealer that sold the car.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is hard to find the tensioner bad unlesss they removed the belt and checked it.
Also when they start going bad they will make a squeeling noise mostly when cold.
Some make noise when hot.

It is pretty hard to find unless you are replacing it anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts