Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There - I own a 97 V70 TDI that has started giving me warm start problems. The car runs fine and will start really well if it's still hot. Leave it for 2 hours and it's a son of a *****. Lots of smoke and very little firing action. It's in the shop now and they are fitting a new injection pump but I'm not convinced thats the problem as it runs ok when its going.
This my third Volvo first being an '87 240 DL estate 2.3 petrol followed by the mother of all cars 940 SE diesel auto estate (not the fastest accelerating car in the world form 0 mph)
The V70 is by far the best car to drive but has certainly cost me more to run.
Cheers Simon - Suffolk UK

·
Registered
55 Posts
How does it start from cold.

My 440 does not like starting after its been left for three or four hours; and my garage says its the valve stem seals, as I've just had the cylinder head gasket replaced.

Basically the engine drips oil into the cylinder when left to stand for a period of time, the oil has to be burnt off before it runs smoothly.

What colour is the smoke ?

If its got a blue tint then there is probably oil being burnt, so head gaskets and valve seals are possible causes.

Barmy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem seems to be sorted now - fingers crossed. The problem was injection pump timing. The cam shaft pulley and key were worn and so were replaced along with the cam shaft damper. The injection pump was also rebuilt. Total cost £1000.
The pelley bolt came loose after 500 miles and caused the car to break down needing a 90 mile recovery. Now repaired with 125 miles under her belt we are just waiting to see.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I have to agree that it probably is due to the Fuel Pump Regulator. Especially if a puff of black smoke is detected.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts