Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just bought a 2005 V70. 2.4, I want to fit reversing sensors, does anyone know how to remove the rear bumper so I can gain access to the rear of the bodywork and bumper?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You have to remove nuts from inside the rear hatch to remove the bumper cover.
You might also have to drill out some rivets in the wheel well area.

Then it should slide off.

Tip most of the time to see the nuts you will have to remove a round peice of foam stuck to the body.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is really not all that bad it is marked where it is needed to be drilled.

At the dealer we had a special tool to cut it.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Hey, when you're done DIY-ing...

Try posting all the steps taken to fit it in... More could benefit from this.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Sep 19 2005, 01:25 PM)Hey, when you're done DIY-ing...

Try posting all the steps taken to fit it in... More could benefit from this.

Thanks!

[snapback]15541[/snapback]​

Complete with photos, of course (if applicable).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like it could get expensive to me (drilling rivets, removing foam, ooh er!!
)... I think some things should best be left to a main dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(mullencragg @ Oct 28 2005, 03:54 AM)Sounds like it could get expensive to me (drilling rivets, removing foam, ooh er!!
)... I think some things should best be left to a main dealer.
[snapback]17365[/snapback]​

I don't blame you. It's still so new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi you have to take the battery out. undo 4 bolts (1/2" socket) from inside the boot hidden behind a foam strip. (it's perforated for access), then drill out one rivet either side, from underneath, right by the rear wheel arch. All that is easy, the difficult bit is getting at the 2 hex head screws that are at the point of the bumper ubove the rear wheel arch. you can only get at them from a small access hole in the wheel arch, I don't know what size they are and up to now I havn't managed it. I'm trying to fit a towbar, so if anyone knows how to do the last bit please let me know as well.. regards Skeggy steve. see my naxt posting cos ive done it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep. I've done it. Ignore the end of my last posting, the screws inside the wheel arch are just a red herring. After spending about an hour trying to get at them I discovered that they'v got nothing to do with getting the bumper off. IT'S DEAD EASY! Take battery cover off and take battery out. (there is one bolt you can't quite get at with it in). Look at the foam strip there are 2 perforated areas hidding the centre bolts; for the 2 end ones you can just peal back the strip. ( it sticks back when your finished). Undo the 4 bolts with a 1/2" socket. then go undrneath the car and drill out one rivet either side on the underside of the bumper right at the end by the rear wheel. ( In hind sight it would be easier if the back of the car was on ramps). It loks like there should be one screw either side at the point of the bumoper just behind the rear wheels but these wern't there on mine. If they are , remove them. The next bit is easier with 2 people though I did manage on my own. Go to the front end of the bumper by the rear wheel and apply upward pressure, at the same time gently pull the point of the bumper away from the body and slide the whole lot backwards. Do the same on the other side and it's off. Replacement is a bit fiddly getting the point back into place but I reckon I could now get it off and on in about 30 minutes. Inside the tailgate there are 2 redundant plugs. The offside one has all the witing for a standard single electric towbar. You need to put fuses in no 9 and 15 in the tailgate fuse box to enable the live feeds. It wouldn't surprise me if the other socket was for parking sensors. so it's worth checking. Hope that helps. Have fun Best regards Steve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys. I have a v70 2006 and have to replace the rear reversing sensors (After market kit) this is the procedure for removing the rear bumper that I used.
1)lift tailgate and remove the wooden floor panel + lift out the storage tray.
2)disconnect and remove the battery, (note make sure you have your radio code)
3)locate and remove the 4 torx screws at the wheel arches (1 at the top corner of the bumper and 1 underneath the wheel arch return on each side)
4)locate and remove the 4 plastic lock clips underneath the rear bumper (these need the centre pin pushing in about 12mm to release)
5)remove the sound proof strip located on the metal work in the boot stuck to the rear metal work behind the bumper.
6)locate and remove the 4 nuts and tubes hidden under the sound proof strip.
*** be very careful not to drop these into the void of the body work (I put a strong magnetic into the long reach 13mm socket)
this held theses in the socket so I could retrieve them ***
7)now at each wheel arch gently but firmly pull the top of the bumper from the bodywork about 30 to 40mm
8)the bumper will now slide backwards off its mountings (best done with help from a 2nd person)

Not a difficult job but will require patience, should take about 30 to 40mins to remove.
Refitting takes the same time just reverse the procedure.
If you want photo's, which show the location of all the fixings just message me through this forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts