Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day,
I am new to this forum as I just have recently bought a V70 T5.
My trip computer flashes up with a message "coolant low - stop engine" but only for seconds and then disappears again. There is no permanent message in the message bank. I checked the coolant and it is close to min. My question is now can I use any coolant to top it up (50/50 coolant and water) as I have trouble getting original Volvo coolant in Australia.

Thanks
Daniel

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You can pretty much use any coolant to top it off.50/50 mix would be the best to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ran into a similar problem. First, on the way to work, the coolant low turn off engine message came on for a second and disappeared. Then my 2001 V70 wouldn't start after work at first. I turned it again and the car made a sort of ticking noise and the message came on again. The coolant was above Min, but I added some anyway. The car started clean on the second try and ran fine home.

Daniel, did your problem ever return?

I was wondering if coolant leaks are a common problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took the car in and it was explained to me that sometimes the coolant gets air bubbles in it when flushed. When the bubbles work themselves out, you get a low reservoir. I had the radiator pressure checked anyway and they found no leaks.

It's been about 10 days and the low coolant message resurfaced. So the level has gone from max to min in 10 days, and I have added 1/2 gallon of 50/50 coolant in the past 3 weeks. Does anyone know how many gallons the radiator of the V70 holds? I'm guessing 2-3 gallons. A 25% loss due to air bubbles sounds fishy.

So if there are no leaks in the radiator(I've seen no puddles under the car either), where does it go?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply poncho. I see no discoloration or liquid in the oil. The reservoir cap is pressurized very well because I have a hard time getting the cap off.

I took it back into the shop and there is head gasket deformation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts