Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

we are a few guys trying to read out various things, like speed, engine coolant temp, engine load etc via the OBD connector. On a S70 97 nothing was returned at all, and on my V70 2000 Classic, only the fault code group was returned.

Asking Volvo as to what extent the Classic is OBDII/EOBD compatible, I unfortunately got the same answer as usually these last 30 years or so, namely "ask your Volvo service center if you have problems with the car".

I have no problems at all with the car, I simply want to know what OBD functions is has, but that seems to be a major company secret.

Anyone else who is interested in these things, and maybe has other experiences?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
What type of scan tool are you trying to use to test these functions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we are using the ELM232 circuit from Elm Elektronics. I do not suspect the circuitry, it has produced correct results on an Opel Vectra 2001 for example.

QUOTE(Lars @ Jan 13 2005, 07:38 PM)Hi,

we are a few guys trying to read out various things, like speed, engine coolant temp, engine load etc via the OBD connector. On a S70 97 nothing was returned at all, and on my V70 2000 Classic, only the fault code group was returned.

Asking Volvo as to what extent the Classic is OBDII/EOBD compatible, I unfortunately got the same answer as usually these last 30 years or so, namely "ask your Volvo service center if you have problems with the car".

I have no problems at all with the car, I simply want to know what OBD functions is has, but that seems to be a major company secret.

Anyone else who is interested in these things, and maybe has other experiences?
[snapback]2264[/snapback]​

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It may not be compatible with the volvo system.Most of the Volvo's use P.C. based software since 1999.Some company for the scanners may not have all the compatible software.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is the very point, is it OBD compatible or not. Issuing
ATH1 (ELM323 specific to turn headers on) and then 0100 I get
48 6B 1F 41 00 80 00 00 00 93

48 6B 1F is the header
41 00 is the returned order code and
80 00 00 00 the implemented functions, in this case only one, the PID01.
93 is the checksum

On 0101 I get
48 6B 1F 41 01 00 04 00 00 18

meaning that in PID01 only Continuous Monitoring tests on Components
is implemented.

None of this makes any sense, certainly the car has more to it than this, but I think
it proves that at least the basic OBD protocoll is working, i.e. it feels hard to
blame the ELM323.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You need to contact the company that makes the scanner and see what functions the scanner has and if there is upgrades for the scanner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ELM323 is really not a scanning tool , but rather an interface between the 10.4 kHz baudrate OBD is using in european cars, and the standard baudrate any PC can understand. I am using it by simply putting an OBD order and receiving a very correct answer, and that far everything is ok, so I am not quite sure what to ask ELM about.
I thought that a lot of Volvo owners would be interested in using the OBD for various purposes, but that does not seem to be the case. Maybe they are not that technically curious?
Thanks anyway for your help so far!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hiya, I have a great scanner that uses the ELM232. Go to www.digimoto.com or
Scantool.net for FREE soft ware that works on a PC or in my case laptop. You have charts, monitors, etc and digimoto's offers logging. Scantoll is working on the logging.
hope this helps
cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts