Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Volvo fans!

Last May I bought a 2001 V70 2.4T, automatic transmission, registered already in 2000 in Belgium. Imported to Norway in 2003.

Mileage is around 50.000 km.

Since i purchased the car a number of problems has been expereinced:

The front stabilizer bar connecting rods was worn already!

Later noises from the front suspension was solved by installing rubber insulators in the springs.

Two door locks have failed; RH front and rear hatch.

Heat shield for the turbo came loose and was rebonded.

The knob for the mirror adjustment broke, and was fixed by bonding.

LH main headlamp show condensation in both main and park light area.

Park brake does not return completely when releasing the handle in cold weather. Release completely when engaging gear or movement in the car. Probably lubrication probem?

Several "squeeking" sounds in the leather / plastic interior parts. Familiar? Tricks to make the interior stop making it own noises?

Part of the upper L/H door panel has come loose from the part with the door handle. (can be pushed outwards) Removal procedure?

Feel the suspension could be improved, may be worn shocks but at this mileage?

My local Volvo dealer state there is nothing perticluar wron with the car, It behaves the way that model should. Are they protecting their brand?
Any one else with the same problems?

Othervise very happy, the car has the BRS PPC tuning kit giving increased Hp and torque from low RPMS, max 252 HP and 410Nm Tq.

Great trailer puller, and when overtaking, use around 1.1 litre pr 10km on mixed driving winter time.

Any thing I should watch out for?

Are any workshop manuals available for this model?

OO

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you haven't had to replace the throttle body yet you are lucky.
Those are about the norm for that car.That was a new year model woth some bugs that you found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I purchased a 2001 V70 2.4 in August 04 and returned it in January 05. It was nothing but trouble! I wnnt for an 05 of the same model through the overseas delivery program. I had an engine light the day I drove home, a broken turn signal, broken interior console and burnt out interior lights (nice cert. preowned inspecion, ha!). Well, during the months. I trusted the dealers test drive and just hopped in after a walk around (yeah, I know...duh!!!!!!!!) But, I was in a hurry that day. Well, in the months i had the car, we lost a fuel pump, had bad strut mounts, an ongoing fuel guage problem and more, I know I'm forgetting... I think maybe because, it was a new model year in 01 this is part of the probelm?!? It sounds like you have gotten most things fixed hopefully...wish you the best, its a great feeling and looking car when you can trust it. Sorry to be dismal. I'm really exited to get my new one, comes in April 28.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The more that l read about the problems the more that l'm leaning toward just staying with my new S80 and pass on the V70.

It's not the car that bothers me but the dealers who deny having problems when they know it's really a Volvo problem.

What will happen is a demise in the
Volvo brand.

Alan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are the details around the throttle body problems; clogged nozzles, worn movng parts or unpredicable failing electronics. Any preventive maintenance that can reduce the likelyhood for a throttely body failure?

Any other first year model problems I should expect and look out for?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It seems if the throttle body is cleaned like every 15,000 miles it will last longer.The electronics are what fails.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
All years from 99-2002 had the same problems with the throttle body.If you want to stay away from that issue buy an 03.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts