Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new V50 is almost the perfect car i have ever had BUT... the fuel consumption is giving me headaches. Instead of 7 to 10 liters/km (as written in the Canadian book) the car consume 15 liters/km. It means that i have to fuel twice the time to make the distance. Even if the car has already 3000km there is no change !

Is there someone has, or had, this problem ? If yes, how can it be solve ? THANKS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've have 3500 km on my V 50 and agree gas consumption is not as rated in the book.....however....I too live in Montreal and have done mostly city driving. Of course in this cold and snowy enviroment we have the motor running while waiting for someone or stuck in traffic so I'll wait until spring to get a more reliable reading on consumption.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When i passed about 10000 to 12000 km both the gas consumption decreased and power in the engine increased so much that it's no problem to feel it. I now passed 17000 km and it gets better all the time!! In "hard" city-driving the car consume about 1 to 1,1 liter/10 km and on highway-driving ca 0,8 liter/10 km, and i think thats good with 170 BHP 5 cylinder engine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My V50 T5 -04 drinks around 1.0liter/10km in city driving... Long distance it has done 0.80-0.82liter/10km.. Im driving in north of sweden in the sunny summer with my 18" rims
Im quite impressed that it does not take more with such big wheels.

Good luck with your cars!

/Per

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just completed a 3500 KM trip around the North Eastern United States, and my gas usage averaged 9.2 L/100km's. I have a V50 T5 AWD, so the temptation usually is to take advantage of all that power, a little too often. I get around 13 L/100 km's in the city generally. However, I was pleased with the fuel consumption on my trip, when I left my lead foot at home.

Barry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Peran,

18" rims? You've got my interest peaked. What rims and tires are you running? I have a 2005 V50 and I'm looking for a 18" rim/tire combination for summer tires since it doesn't freeze here for more than 9 mos. out of the year.

Cheers,

Rousslang

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Sometimes, even the phrase 'City-Driving' needs to be defined further, and is relative to many people.

For me, City-Driving is driving with an average speed of between 30-50kmh for 34 kms (only) on a daily basis.

For a friend with a similar car, average speed is up to 70kmh and travels close to 90 kms every day.

Needless to say, my fuel consumption average would be higher than his.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 2005 V50 T5 gear tronic with 9000 km. I have 8,2 l/100km since I bougt the car. In a run of 500 Km from Québec city to Ottawa in Canada, I notice 7,3 l/Km! So, I'm satisfied. But I'm interested to look at thes numbers in severe winters conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there TheNorthFace.

This topic is fairly well thrashed out in various places in the forum.

For what this is worth to you-I use BP Ultimate 98.4. During a recent 603k drive, my S80 returned 8.3L per 100k's. I drove between 100 and 120 k's per hour for most of the journey. I drove from sea level to 1,000 feet above sea level for 300k's of that journey.

(a) If I kept to 100k's, I probably would have got far superior economy.

(
If I didn't use the air conditioning, I probably would have got far superior economy also.

Do the maths-is lower octane fuel really worth it?

Over to you.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Auckland..

The highest octane is 94 here in canada, I stopped putting the 94 in my VW jetta 1.8T once the fuel prices jumped over $1.00 p/litre trying to save a few bucks. After a few fillups with the 84 my check engine light came on and never turned off, not sure if changing fuel did this or not. I'll stick to the 94 with the new Volvo V50. I pick it up next Thursday, pretty pumped.

Cheers,
TheNorthFace

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there TheNorthFace.

If you have BP in Canada, ask them if they sell Ultimate in Canada-they probably have a different name for it there though.

I agree the coin does hurt. But I am looking at about an extra $8.00 per tank load for the extra economy and driving pleasure I get from it. For me, the comfort and enjoyment is worth it. I work hardly hard, so it is one of the few luxuries I get in life.

Please post pix in the garage forum when you collect the vehicle. We never get sick of celebrating a new Volvo on the road.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
over here in oz, melbourne my v50 t5 fwd with ard 20,000kms on e clock has around 13L/km as well.

i'm starting to think that it's a little too high for city-driving only.

would it be because i've switched 2 the castrol syn engine oil from Mobil One Full synt.????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I found the right topic

I have the same problem! City driving, my V50 T5 awd 2005 consumption average is getting higher and higher, I can almost do 280 km in town with a full tank... thats a bit insane... what should we check in this car to be sure there is no leak ? evaporation?

I am also curious to know if the S-40 t5 awd is using the same fuel consumption average!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts