Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!
i own a secondhand 2001 v40 currently just touching 100,000km on the odometer.
I'd like to know if other v40 owners out there experience this problem..

the problem is: the brake just does not work during start up, especially in the mornings or when the engine is still cold. the braking power gradually comes back when the engine is left running for 1 minute or so.

It's the same when i'm in reverse or in the D gear. I've had a few close shaves with pedestrians and oncoming vehicles when reversing out of the driveway or when driving down ramps in parking lots.

When i brought the car to the local volvo dealers, the mechanics says that it's a "normal" for all v40 and s40. just let the engine warm up a little before driving.

Volvo is aware of this problem in Malaysia and they claim that it's NORMAL. I'm sure this has to be a COVER UP comparable to the Mitsubishi scandal that brought down Mitsubishi Motors. No recall has been issued here whatsover.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Do some good research about your car market.
Here in the U.S. they had a recall about the brake vaccum pumps.
They had the recall for the same problem you speak of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it is a common problem, and from what i've read it can be a few different things at fault.

either the auxillary pump is not working (or the pressure switch is faulty not activating the pump), the brake booster is not working, or there is a leak in the hose from th ebrake booster. i read this on IATN (auto technician recource website) earlier today

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problems as reported by Fakawi. I bought my 2003 V40 brand new in January 2003. No accidents. Starting in the winter of 2006/2007, it happened once or twice that winter and once or twice the next winter. My wife was the only driver. It was always a winter morning when she backed out of the garage. But I could not reproduce the same problem. In the winter of 2008/2009, when only 49,000 kms on the car, I started driving the car and I noticed it too. It doesn't happen every time, it is an intermittent problem. I reported it to my dealership (I live in Toronto) and they said there was no recall. I complained to Volvo Canada and they also said there was no recall and since the car was already out of warranty, I had to pay for whatever repair myself. I went back to my dealership and they suggested to replace the vaccum pump. I paid the work ($485+ taxes) but it DID NOT help a bit. Since then I seldom drive this car. When I take it out for a ride, I always let it warm up for a minute or two in the winter time. Today I have 55,000 kms (winter of 2010/2011) and the problem still unsolved. Without the warm up, the car is almost unstoppable. There is still no recall from Volvo. I will not buy another Volvo in Canada.

FYI, I called a Volvo dealership in Buffalo, NY back in December 2008. They told me they have seen this problem which they did not have a recall there either. BUT they would process my claim (as a safety issue) to Volvo USA if I had lived there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This seems very strange - just out of interest, are all your Volvo's with the break issue automatics? My V40 is a manual (done 226,000 km) and as soon as the engine starts, the break assistance comes on straight away (coldest I have driven mine is about -8 degrees C). Charliec's input above sounds like hes nailed most of the problem. Anything with the word rubber flexi-hose and volvo in same sentence gives up after about 10 years. Just changed front brake hoses as were perrished. How long does it take for your brakes to 'warm up'?

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (fakawi @ Apr 22 2005, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi all!
i own a secondhand 2001 v40 currently just touching 100,000km on the odometer.
I'd like to know if other v40 owners out there experience this problem..

the problem is: the brake just does not work during start up, especially in the mornings or when the engine is still cold. the braking power gradually comes back when the engine is left running for 1 minute or so.

It's the same when i'm in reverse or in the D gear. I've had a few close shaves with pedestrians and oncoming vehicles when reversing out of the driveway or when driving down ramps in parking lots.

When i brought the car to the local volvo dealers, the mechanics says that it's a "normal" for all v40 and s40. just let the engine warm up a little before driving.

Volvo is aware of this problem in Malaysia and they claim that it's NORMAL. I'm sure this has to be a COVER UP comparable to the Mitsubishi scandal that brought down Mitsubishi Motors. No recall has been issued here whatsover.
Good day. I also have a V40 2001 and the brakes are not responsive when the car has just jeen started. It usually gets sorted out within 1minute of the enjine running. My car, however does have brakes. But u really need to step hard on the brake to get a response.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts