Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone...
I am new, and have been searching for a good forum because the "crush" I had on the new S40 has just ended now that it's been mine for 2 months. Maybe I have a lemon, but I it has 1700 miles on it, and I have been driving a loaner for a total of one month. I have had the computer reprogrammed 2 times, replaced once...have had to replace my windshield wiper motor, and have spent a fortune in gas due to its horrible gas mileage (around 16-17MPG - highway, 5 spd...) The dealer did repaint the car for me after it was scratched "to death" by a car wash...So at least they are taking very good care of it.

All of this has spoiled the car. It is a beautiful sight, it purrs when it revs, but it is slow in 3rd gear. The sound system is amazing...when it works... After hanging out in the service dept waiting, I have noticed the the radio problem (it stays on pause and the only way to get it to work is to shut the car off for at least 20 minutes) is a fairly popular one...a few others had the same complaint all in the same afternoon...I'll stop ranting..Has anyone else had any problems with theirs?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have had the same problem with the radio in my 2.4i 5 speed. Volvo contacted me saying that there is a new software update for the car. Mine is going in the shop at 9am EST in the morning. I am told it will take about 30 minutes to fix. I get much better gas mileage than you are...28 mpg. I have had the car since the first of January and the only other complaint that I have about the car is that the washer fluid tank runs out too soon (due mostly to the headlight wash combination). Also, the driver seat has a small rattle when cornering very fast which is being fixed also in the morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(niko05 @ Feb 28 2005, 12:54 AM)I have had the same problem with the radio in my 2.4i 5 speed. Volvo contacted me saying that there is a new software update for the car. Mine is going in the shop at 9am EST in the morning. I am told it will take about 30 minutes to fix. I get much better gas mileage than you are...28 mpg. I have had the car since the first of January and the only other complaint that I have about the car is that the washer fluid tank runs out too soon (due mostly to the headlight wash combination). Also, the driver seat has a small rattle when cornering very fast which is being fixed also in the morning.
[snapback]4163[/snapback]​

I had the upgrade 2 times...then they replaced the whole computer which then shorted out the car's electrical system...great in the snow though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
1, Gear box f*cked up! (Could not jump from 5-3:rd gear)
2, Noisy brakes
3, Seat-belt reminder jammed, and always beeping, even if the front passenger seat was empty!
4, Noice from the right, front corner
5, Both batteries to the keys ran out after 6 months
6, Moist in fog-lights
7, Cd player broke down
8, Suspension changed by Volvo, front-right

Have had my car for 14 months now, and this is the major faults...
They are fixed by now.....

Volvo S40 2,4i 5-Speed, 2004, 70.000 km.

Danish

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Had the update done to my stereo. The mechanic says that there are a couple of updates that need to be done on some S40's (earlier than mine). If I heard correctly today, you can call or Email Volvo with your VIN number and find out if your S40 needs the update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Danish, I am curious what noise from the right front did you experience? and how was it fixed?

I think I experience the same thing, it happens when I start the car then sometimes there will be a thunk from the right corner. I asked service to look into it and all the said was that it was normal thunk from power steering pump. I found it odd that for the price of this car the power steering will thunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, I have had my Volvo s40 2.4 for approx. one month and have almost 400 miles now. I too have noticed the shitty gas mileage--like barely 20 miles per gallon! I called the dealership and they told me it just needs to be "broke in." I doubt this is so, as Car and Driver tests new vehicles to validate gas mileage. I am looking for answers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The sound was located to the front/right wheel, but when they couldnt find the problem they changed everything they suspected... Im sure that the problem was the same same as in many S60/V70:s...
The "rubber" that connects the links in the front is worn out... And the noise is from the gap left... Mostly heard on bumpy roads, at low speed...

(Pardon my English, Im from Sweden...)

/D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have only owned my S40 for a little over a week and I must admit I have complaints so far! I purchased a 2004 Sebring Convertible LXI last Spring and Daimler Chrysler purchased it back (it was a lemon, it was in the shop 2-3 weeks every month). I had my eye on this car for a while and after test driving this car along with a few others I believe I made the best choice for me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joes40,

I have the same problem with my 05 T5 AWD. When I took it to the dealer they could not duplicate it. I ask the technician could it be the power brakes or steering pump and he said he did not know. I also have a rattling noise from the drivers seatbelt tensioner. The dealer verified it but said there is no fix as of yet and is waiting for Volvo to send an update on it. My father in law owns 01 V40 and it has been pretty much problem free. I will not buy a Volvo again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Megd1, I took it back to the dealership twice and they still could not figure out the thunk. The service tech insists it is normal. I still could not believe it!

Unfortunately, its not a consistent thunk, it happens intermittently and it really annoys me. Now my daughter has a name for my car "Thumper". GRRRR...

What I plan to do is to keep on complaining so that if something happens after warranty period I can prove that I brought the problem to their attention and they have not fixed it.

If anyone has been experiencing the same thunk, I think we should all get our information and send it directly to Volvo. I think Volvo has taken the stance to deny anything wrong until car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
261 Posts
joes40
Have you noticed if you have the AC on when you hear the noise? I have noticed that sometimes when the compressor kicks in there is a pop that sounds like it is coming from the front right but it is not very loud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Niko, it happens either with the AC on or off. I thought it was the AC at first but I noticed that it happens whether its on or off. It is intermitent so it becomes so difficult to diagnose I guess. I guess I'll just have to live with it till something obvious breaks.

JoeS40

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hope you don't have to wait for that.
I have also read on some message board (I forget which) that some of the S40's had a bushing that had to be replaced on the front right. I have only noticed any noise a couple of times when I first turned on the AC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There must be something wrong with the paint on the S40's...I had my car a week and the first time i washed it, I had scratches all through the paint. They insisted that I caused the scratches, but never the less, they buffed it out. I KNOW a towel made for drying cars does not cause scrathes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
jose40,

Still having the same problem and I try not to let it upset me. Over all my dealer has been pretty good. niko05 I hear thump on start up I wish I could say it was the AC compressor but it's more than that. Will probably have to wait to it fails to get it fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
megd1, I undersatnd how you feel. We are precisely in the same boat. Unfortunately the sound cannot be easily duplicated. i do not think its the a/c because its pretty loud to be the a/c. As far as i can describe it tt sounds like a belt that gets lose and hits something or a lose piece hitting the belt or a moving part.

I can't fault the dealer they have tried but to no avail. I sent an email to Volvo but as I expected no reply.

From experience though, we do have an older volvo a 98 s70-t5 and has been problem free since we got it new. So I have mixed feelings about owning the S40. I just hope if anything breaks its in the warranty period.

Much luck to you and hopefully everything turns out well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Thunk you here is from the Air conditioner. There is a door that opens and closes. The noise problems happens when the climate control turns the air on . I only have a manual air conditioner and it thunks after about 10 seconds after I turn the air on. I took it to Volvo and thats what they told me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Pulliamnate, scroll up. That was suggested (I have noticed the same sound from the AC) but Joes40 is having this noise even when the AC is turned off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts