Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would appreciate comments as to logic of stating that this is a normal wear/tear. I had to pay out $400.00 +. Was told this was not covered under 48000 kilometer warranty. I have owned 12 Volvos since buying my 544 Sport back in 1963 and never had front suspension problems.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
QUOTE (RJJ @ Jan 10 2016, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would appreciate comments as to logic of stating that this is a normal wear/ware area. I had to pay out $400.00 +. Was told this was not covered under 48000 kilometer warranty. I have owned 12 Volvos since buying my 544 Sport back in 1963 and never had front suspension problems.
check if this is a product recall,that should not be happening for a car of 2012 .

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just one side ?

I wonder why mine (both of them) have managed to remain functional for 265,000 miles ?

They still looked fine at 222,000 miles when I had those front struts replaced . . . . so I don't think that's an area subjected to a whole lot of wear. But my S60 is 10 years older than yours, so the design may have been "improved" ?

Sounds like it's a subject worthy of the investigation that you're engaged in. That's the kind of issue that would gnaw at me if I tried to ignore it. Please report back when you get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Non action by Dealer and reply from Volvo Canada (normal wear and not covered under warranty)really got my goat and that is why I made my post. My appreciation of Volvo shaken. For them to say what they said to a person who has spent well over $ 200,000.00 buying and maintaining 12 Volvos is very poor PR/GW on their part. GW (Good Will) could have been fifty fifty or three way split. My next step will depend on feedback I get from other members of the Volvo Forum group. RJJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All

Have not received comments from technical/mechanical person. As Layman would appreciate comments from someone in this community who has what I would call Practical experience.

RJJ

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm sorry you haven't received more feedback . . . . but 75 people have read your thread.

I'd conclude from that your issue isn't so common as to be considered "normal wear and tear"; otherwise a few more would have "some" experience to report.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same item, here's a pair of Strut Bushings currently available on eBay:

S-60 Front Spring & Strut Bushings

I'm still wondering if they said that both sides had failed ?

There is a separate thread on this Forum where a Strut had been installed improperly and let go punching a hole right through the hood . . . . but that wasn't normal "wear and tear" !

That's not your problem; but I think that's the only related discussion I have read here. You may find more by doing a more thorough search of past issues.

Meanwhile, you seem to be caught up in very unusual problem.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
QUOTE (Vermont @ Feb 10 2016, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm sorry you haven't received more feedback . . . . but 75 people have read your thread.

I'd conclude from that your issue isn't so common as to be considered "normal wear and tear"; otherwise a few more would have "some" experience to report.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same item, here's a pair of Strut Bushings currently available on eBay:

S-60 Front Spring & Strut Bushings

I'm still wondering if they said that both sides had failed ?

There is a separate thread on this Forum where a Strut had been installed improperly and let go punching a hole right through the hood . . . . but that wasn't normal "wear and tear" !

That's not your problem; but I think that's the only related discussion I have read here. You may find more by doing a more thorough search of past issues.

Meanwhile, you seem to be caught up in very unusual problem.
that has been going on from 2001 google repair pal and read about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They replaced only the one on passenger side.Have gone to link and screen printed Ad. Next time I talk to my Salesman will show him the Ad and reemphasize fact that when I brought in my S60 was under impression based on two if not three previous visits to the Dealership that item would be taken care of at 48000 klick inspection. Two weeks before my appointment Service Adviser even came out to the car to confirm problem and he told me he would make sure part would be on hand when I came in for the inspection.

Now to find out part is available for $14.00 rekindles my frustration for as you will remember I had to shell out $400.00 for the repair. When the Dealership item would not be covered by Volvo Canada,and knowing my long term affiliation with them could/should have offered a 50/50 split which I would have accepted at the time.

The damage has been done and I have learned a lesson. Get things in writing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Volvo & Chinese Ownership ???
To my total dismay Upper Strut Bearing on passenger side of my 2012 S60 has died Again after only 20000 klms.
Went to my Dealership yesterday and was made aware of recent Service Bulletin wherein Volvo informed Dealerships
OEM PARTS INSTALLED BY VOLVO DEALERS WOULD BE COVERED FOR TWO YEARS (rather than one) AND FOR LIFE
THERE AFTER. This applys to Original Owner. I have appoint to have work done next week.

Question, has Volvo realized Quality of OEM parts made Who Knows Where not same Quality as those used on Older Volvos ???

May reopen my initial Complaint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello All who showed interest in my SAGA.

The New General Manager at my Local Volvo Dealer has, after reviewing the time and effort that I have put into this saga (2 yrs) has arranged to set up a Credit Note in my name for the $400.00 that Volvo Canada had refused to reimburse me because the S60 was out of Warranty by 111 days and in any event they said failure was due to Normal Wear and Tear. They even told me that had the bearing been replace under the new car warranty, say Sept 2014, the new part would have only been guaranteed to Jan 31 2015. Not even covered under normal OEM Part guarantee of 2 years. Then when second bearing failed with only 21000 klicks of use, they were not too happy that dealership had replaced it in May of 2015 under New Life Time Warranty as work was done prior to effective date of LTW which was, in Canada Oct 2015. LTW in US was effective July 2015. As if one would not realize new policy would have been in the works many many months prior to being released to the press.

Their handling of this matter was PATHETIC.

N.B. Anyone considering using Volvo's LTW PR hot air policy, be aware that it covers parts purchased, after New Car Warranty finished , by the original owner and installed by a Volvo Dealer, for as long as the original owner owns the vehicle. If you are a collector may be fine. But who keeps a new vehicle today more than, say six years ???

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you got some modicum of satisfaction; but it doesn't really sound like you're a good candidate for accumulating $400 in new charges in order to utilize the $400 credit that they posted to your account. Maybe the Chinese Ownership is taking "the long view" ?

Isn't it a shame that you have to become a real PITA in order to get the attention of a management (and I don't single out just Volvo for this) in a world where the majority behaves like sheep and doesn't want to do anything that will deviate from what they're told is the norm.

I'm still waiting for my original S60 Strut Bushings to fail, now after 284,000 miles; but they're still concealing all signs of deterioration.

Savor your moments of success . . . . they don't come that often; and they certainly won't ever come to people who just grin and bear it !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your S60 is a Real Volvo with OEM Volvo Parts and you will most probably never have issues with the Strut Bearings. Plan is to used part of $400.00 credit against 72000 klick inspection. RJJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (RJJ @ Jan 10 2016, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would appreciate comments as to logic of stating that this is a normal wear/tear. I had to pay out $400.00 +. Was told this was not covered under 48000 kilometer warranty. I have owned 12 Volvos since buying my 544 Sport back in 1963 and never had front suspension problems.

I would say this is not normal but, then again, I don't know anything about where or how you drive. For example, this past (2018/19) winter in Toronto, there were many reports about suspensions/wheels/exhausts being damaged by potholes. Also I notice it was the front, passenger side which is the one that takes most of the beating from bad roads.

Does anybody really buy Volvo expecting good customer service because they will surely be disappointed if they do. I remember trying to book my Volvo in for routine maintenance and the service guy started to give me a hard time over the phone: where did you buy the car, what's the VIN, etc. etc. I actually had to call the sales guy at the dealership to ask him what was going on? He arranged a complimentary oil/filter change and wheel rotation as an apology.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts