Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 V70SE with load comp. suspension. All the tyres wear unevenly, the rears are particularly bad with the nearside having a 2 inch bald patch on the outside after 15K Miles. Am now on the third set of tyres after 32K miles. I had the 4 wheel alignment checked about 15K ago, nothing was found and the garage advised that it was due to low tyre pressure. Since then have run at +10% on recommended but the problem is worse if anything. Any ideas ?

Thanks
Jim

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Are you sure the places alignment machine is working properly?If something was bent they should have found it during the alignment.Do you normally carry alot of wieght in the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Most of the time the car is fairly empty although I do occasional long runs with a lot of weight. The car is an auto and has another problem the dealer has not been able to sort out - the engine sometimes cuts out after slowing down from speed. This has got much worse in the last couple of days. Have you ever had to take a corner with no power steering in a V70 ? More excitment than I bargained for in a modern family car. I am taking the car to the dealer tommorrow and will grill them on the 4 wheel check at the same time.

best regards
Pugwash

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
What some people don't realize that some people always carry lots of weight around and when having their car aligned they remove all the weight and have the alignment done then install the weight again.The vehicle needs to be aligned with all the weight in there so it rides properly.That is not your case though.If they did it last time I would complain to them about it and they might do one for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Tech for the idea to check the geometry with usual loadings.

My 1999 V70 has gone thru' 14 Pirelli P6000 tyres in 64,000 miles from new, I have now changed to Michelin Primacy tyres. It's funny that when you replace a couple of tyres every now and then you don't notice the total building up.

Volvo agent pointed out heavy inside wear on rear tyres, but did not investigate.

An independent geometry check revealed rear geometry way out of spec with a bent torsion bar. OK I must have hit something. An earlier check by the agent was done and their adjustments did not bring it into spec but used up all possible adjustment. Now in the workshop for new torsion bars etc.

Car has been set up for UK roads (driving on left) but I use it a lot in Europe (driving on the right) will this usage have an adverse effect if the car is set up for UK driving?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ref the V70 auto cutting out problem, I had this issue last year and it took several service visits to diagnose a faulty solenoid which once replaced solved it for good. Prior to that the garage said that other faults cited by the computer masked the problem - they replaced the throttle housing initially at volvo cost.

Hope you solved this earlier as the cut out is dangerous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts