Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent MOT test contained an 'advisory' that my nearside rear tyre was worn 'close to the legal limit' on the inside edge. Any suggestions why?
Both rear tyres were replaced at the same time about 3 years ago (30,000 miles).
But the only noticeable wear appears to be on the inside edge of the nearside tyre.
Obviously I'll replace both tyres but is there a mechanical fault which could cause this specific wear issue?
For info - a month ago I had the ABS sensor replaced on this wheel; and a fortnight ago the rear discs and pads were replaced. The odd tyre wear was not mentioned on either occasion.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
if its a high mileage motor i would suspect the suspension bushings on the rear , these fit into the ends of the suspension arms and are not easy to replace, but thats really only above 200,000 miles i would even start suspecting that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
137,291 miles at MOT (yesterday). I have since lain under the car and I can see no difference between the tread on either rear tyre.
There does appear to be less 'meat' on the inside edge of both compared with the outside edge, but still not down to wear bars.
My neighbour who was until retirement a lecturer & apprentice trainer in car mechanics, suggests that it might be that the nose-weight of our caravan is above the recommended weight, bearing down on the centre of the car, therefore putting more pressure on the inside edges than the outside edges.
I'm going to check out the nose-weight next time we're loaded up and ready to go. Meanwhile I'll replace both tyres ready for the winter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts