Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a q regarding turbo resting... I have always been told before switching off the engine to rest the turbo otherwise you could damage it... so I have been doing that (not that I use it much of course!!
) but when I spoke to someone in Volvo he said that Volvo had designed the newer cars to be able to cope without having to rest the turbo. I didnt buy that and always rest it, but does anyone know if this is the case?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have been taught to rest it as well.
That is what I do as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was always told at least 30 seconds... dont know if that is right or not... anyone else got any ideas???

·
Registered
295 Posts
This reminds me of a product called a 'turbo-timer'. Basically it wires into your car and when you turn off the ignition, the car keeps running for one minute and then shuts off. My Mother had a '84 Ford Turbo-TBird and that is when I heard of this product. I never bought one, although, I did end up replacing the Turbo once.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
One minute is the best to let it idle before shutting it off.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I am new to petrol turbo engines - taking delivery of a 2002 V40 T4 sport lux next week. I have had 4 diesel turbo cars and none of the dealers or handbooks mentioned resting the turbo. With the T4, should I be idling the engine for a minute before turning the ignition off? What are the consequences of not doing this? Any & all advice very gratefully received!!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Over a long period of time it will lead to premature turbo failure.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks Veteran, will try to remember that then!!! Would appreciate knowing why resting the turbo prolongs its life - is it temperature related? I am no mechanic but do want to understand as much as possible about the car, hence joining the forum.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It helps the turbo cool down and slow down to idle speed before turning off the engine and letting it spin without oil flow.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Aha, got it now, makes peeeeerfect sense when it is explained so well -

You have mentioned engine oil. My 2002 V40 T4 was Volvo serviced around 3,000 miles ago (won't be delivered 'til end of next week). The oil on the dipstick looked OK but dark in colour (not black though). Car had been used for towing a trailer (7 pin electrics on the towbar). I am a bit of a stickler for changing the oil more frequently than strictly needed AND for flushing the engine when changing the oil - normally use Wynn's flushing additive - see http://www.wynnsoil.co.uk/ . My queries are:

1. Is it OK/safe to use a flushing additive before draining used oil from the engine in a T4? Revs would be kept between 1,000 & 2,000 RPM for 15 minutes to circulate the flusher around the engine with the old oil.
2. Is Mobil 1 0W-40 SuperSyn oil suitable for the T4 engine?

Any & all advice gratefully received please.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should be fine using both items.

After a period of time the turbo engines might build up a little sludge.You will be keeping it from happening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh no, now I am terrified that I have hurt mine! mine just goes in for normal services at normal times and I only rest the turbo about 30 seconds - what will I have done to it???

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Shouldn't worry too much
- from what Tech advises it seems that any wear would normally be gradual/over a long period of time - if you've been resting your turbo for 30 seconds then that is probably 29 seconds longer than most. Thanks to his wisdom, at least we all know what to do now!

I hadn't even thought about it before but of course Tech's explanation is totally logical, i.e. the oil that lubricates/cools the turbo etc. only circulates whilst the engine is running - when you turn off the engine the oil pump stops immediately. Therefore unless we allow the engine to idle for a minute before switching off the engine, the turbo will be spinning incredibly quickly, the oil pump will stop & friction + heat will build up in the (still spinning) turbo & cause gradual/premature wear & tear to it. I am so glad that I don't get my hands on my car for another 3.5 days.

Generally speaking, sticking to manufacturer's engine oil/filter change intervals is fine. However, if you do a lot of stop/start/heavy traffic type motoring or put high stresses on the engine such as towing or after if it has been "chipped" then more frequent changes may be needed. I am paranoid & just feel that a relatively small amount of extra expenditure on high quality oil/filter every 6 months is worth the peace of mind of knowing that all those expensive moving parts are being bathed in nice clean & highly efficient fully synthetic lubricant, especially in a highly stressed modern multi-valve high pressure turbo engine like the T4 has in it.

Not everyone agrees with "flushing" the engine when changing the oil but most main dealers seem to recommend it. I have always found that the new oil stays looking clean for much longer if the engine is flushed before new oil is put in. Flushing removes sludge/varnish-type deposits that if allowed to build-up can cause problems.

Enjoy your lovely car!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Speaking of using a 'quality oil filter', let's not forget 'Quantity'. Back in the days of owning my P1800's I used to use a Ford V8 oil filter which was approximately twice the size of the 'normal' filter. I always liked using about a half quart more oil to fill the motor and the idea that I had about twice the filtration surface.

Nowdays with my Wifes 940 and my 740 it would be impossible to use such a large filter (it just won't fit). I do however have a nice alternative. I use the Fram 'Tough Guard' filter. I am %90 sure the number is TG-36. Next time you go to your local parts store, ask for an oil filter (your stock one) and ask for a Fram Tough Guard TG-36. Look and the size of the O-Ring and the size of the threads/hole. Then compare the size of the filter and the weight of the two. I think that you will be more satisfied using the Fram Tough Guard.

PLEASE REALIZE that the Tough Guard is NOT the standard Fram ORANGE filter. It is off-white. Reading some reviews of oil filters, you could understand why I don't want you to confuse the two.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(deadken @ Aug 16 2005, 12:22 AM)Speaking of using a 'quality oil filter', let's not forget 'Quantity'. Back in the days of owning my P1800's I used to use a Ford V8 oil filter which was approximately twice the size of the 'normal' filter. I always liked using about a half quart more oil to fill the motor and the idea that I had about twice the filtration surface.

Nowdays with my Wifes 940 and my 740 it would be impossible to use such a large filter (it just won't fit). I do however have a nice alternative. I use the Fram 'Tough Guard' filter. I am %90 sure the number is TG-36. Next time you go to your local parts store, ask for an oil filter (your stock one) and ask for a Fram Tough Guard TG-36. Look and the size of the O-Ring and the size of the threads/hole. Then compare the size of the filter and the weight of the two. I think that you will be more satisfied using the Fram Tough Guard.

PLEASE REALIZE that the Tough Guard is NOT the standard Fram ORANGE filter. It is off-white. Reading some reviews of oil filters, you could understand why I don't want you to confuse the two.
[snapback]13636[/snapback]​

But that will only work for cars 1998 and older.Then 1999 and newer use cartrige filters.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks Deadken & Tech.

My V40 is a July 2002 model and I believe that Skippy's is 2002 well. As far as I know the oil filter is not the "can" type, you just get a replacement filter element which also comes with a new sealing ring for the cover. Volvo say that a special tool is needed to remove the filter housing, but when I have replaced this type on Vauxhalls (General Motors) before, I have always been able to find a big enough wrench in the old toolbox - we'll see in a couple of weekend's time!

Certainly for the time being I plan to use original Volvo parts - as an approved used Volvo (from a main dealer) the car will be covered by a comprehensive 12 month manufacturer's warranty & I will have the option to extend this for up to a further 3 years at my own expense - so I must use a Volvo filter.

Since I change the oil & filter every 6 months, I hope that the quality of Volvo's "own" oil filters will not be a major issue but am very grateful to Deadken for making the points that he did. I didn't realise just how big the gap was between a poor oil filter & a good one!

Car arrives Friday to replace the 440
, so will post some pictures as soon after that as possible.

Best regards.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts