Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks into ownership of a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo sedan with 53k mi, this is my first foray into the world of Volvo.
Issues:
1)I've been impressed with low end power gained by K&N filters on all my cars in the past(& mom's nissan murano the most!), will this help even more so with the turbo?
2)gas mileage is 20-21mpg at best in 50/50 mixed driving, this seems low considering a)it's a Volvo, b)it's a 5 cylinder.
3)Does the turbo need special TLC?
4)What Volvo specific gremlins do I need to anticipate?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(gr8gatzby @ Aug 10 2005, 08:52 PM)3 weeks into ownership of a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo sedan with 53k mi, this is my first foray into the world of Volvo.
Issues:
1)I've been impressed with low end power gained by K&N filters on all my cars in the past(& mom's nissan murano the most!), will this help even more so with the turbo?
2)gas mileage is 20-21mpg at best in 50/50 mixed driving, this seems low considering a)it's a Volvo, b)it's a 5 cylinder.
3)Does the turbo need special TLC?
4)What Volvo specific gremlins do I need to anticipate?

thanks!
[snapback]13228[/snapback]​

1) The K&N Filters would definitely be able to boost the power of a turbo-charged vehicle. But the K&N's are generally a bit 'noisy'. If you'd like to see for alternative, try the Pipercross
. I also hear that RAM would be able to make a difference as well - but Im not sure.

2) To cut the story short, as I a sure you definitely have heard lots of other sotries before this, whether they are positive or negative. The important thing is that gas mileage would definitely depend on YOUR kind and style of driving.

3) None that I know of. Depending on your versions, the turbo unit are of the "TD??-???" model which is relatively less problemmatic as compared. However, look at them as consumable goods, OK? If you turbo a lot wherever you go, install a turbo-timer so that it gives a little more time for the turbo to cool-down before the engine is switched off.

4) Gremlins? I haven't found one yet. But if you go through the threads, you may see some problems on this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts