Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

99 S40 T4 has a very slight oil leak. How costly is it to purchace a new one. Any ideas what sort of turbo it is and are they easy to come by? Also is it possible to bolt on a different turbo) ,Is iot hard to do or a must for an expert.
Cheers.

ps what sort of turbo's do these thing use anyway?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a 03 V40, replaced the 12t turbo with 14t turbo, it is a direct replacement, do not need special adapter plates, etc. It took me 9 hours, I removed the the exhaust manifold with the turbo to make the turbo sawp easier. Also replaced exhaust manifold gaskets and turbo oil line o-ring and fish gasket to avoid future leaks. If you are going to to it yourself, please take your time to do it correctly. Here in USA shops will charge you $400 plus gaskets. Also you need to re-map your ECU because 14t pushes more air and the car runs lean. I used Upsolute (upsolute.com) re-maping (I am very happy with the cars performance) which costs another $400, currently I am boosting 17 to 19 psi. I also replace complete exhaust (down pipe and catback) with 3" pipe.
Good Luck.

PS: I purchased the 14t Mitsubishi (brand new) turbo from eBay paid $350 shipped. Turbo is shipped from Taipei Taiwan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts