Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '96 Volvo 960 and I am interested in upgrading the car a bit. Here's what I want to do: I would like to put in sway bars or something of the like to upgrade the suspension so I can handle curves a little better, I want to lower a subtle amount of about 1.5 inches, and I would like to install thicker tires and upgraded rims, maybe 17"s. Now I don't know if it is possible to upgrade to thicker tires because the wheel well might not be that deep. Any suggestions as to what I can do for these upgrades? Thanks so much for the help!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Although Volvo of America doesn't offer the sport kit in North America you can order one from a company in Canada.
http://www.eurosporttuning.com/home.htm

Euro Sport doesn't list the kit on their site but if you ask they will order it for you from Europe and ship it to you. It includes new front struts, rear shocks, lowering springs front and a new composite spring for the back and new larger sways front and rear. It lowers the car about an inch and a half all the way around.

This is not an after market kit this is a Volvo OEM Accessory that is available through European Volvo dealers.

Other than this kit no one offers lowering springs or sway bars for the 95-98 960/S90 independent suspension in North America. If you have deep pockets IPD may make you new sway bars that are one offs for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Snoboarder Mike: I've got a 1995 960, and was wondering what you've found out. I haven't found ****!!! for this car, not even performance shocks
Bob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Guys....

Call IPD and have a chat with them, outline your suspension plans and get their input. IPD sell one of the best front and rear sway bar available for Volvo's. I have had set of their sway bars on a 240 wagon and now on a 940 Turbo wagon...now the turbo motor has been replaced with a 5.0 Ford motor... In addition they have upper and lower chassis braces to tighten up the uni-body and of course lowering springs. I wouldn't say they are a supermarket of shocks, but they have several high performance shocks you could install on you car. The only short coming of the 700 and 900 models are the custom wheels available, which is zero. The largest wheel is a 16"er that limits you to a 55 aspect ratio tire. IPD can be reached by calling 800-444-6473....it's a free call...they are nice people...they are nice Volvo people.

David

·
Registered
12 Posts
wedwagon, it's obvious you don't own a 960. IPD does not have one performance item for this specific car. (I've called and talked to them many times) I got this car thru my brother. He's a FORD salesman, and got this car on trade-in. I got it for $100 more, $6000 2 years ago. If I'd known that performance and 960 clashed, I'd passed on the deal. But it's been a great commuter!!! I just wish, besides brakes, I could get more performance outta it. I've got 850R 17" wheels on it, and yes there are manufacturers that make 18s.

I'm just waiting for a deal on a 850R now

PS: if I had the money to make this car 960 zoom(there are some Europeans racing 960s),.......... I'd just buy a M5.

Live and learn

·
Registered
95 Posts
You are right, I know what I know about 940's because that's what I drive. Sorry you have such a narrow list of options available. If you were close by I'd give you a 940 Turbo engine complete with an automatic transmission. I know it needs a head gasket....resently removed to make way for a 5.0 HO Ford motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
David,

How the heck did you get that idea of a 5.0 in a 940

it sounds very sick, tell us more
like which tranny, are you using
electrics, exhaust, driveline, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The HO motor is a 5.0 from a 1993 Mercury Mountaineer, it has GT40 intake, upper and lower and GT40 heads only made of steel. The transmission is a Ford AOD, everything else is Volvo....oh the driveshaft had to be changed. The exhaust is custom bent with a crossover pipe. And the Ford wiring harness has been mated to the Volvo harness. The do it yourself kit requires the use of a HO Mustang 5.0 motor and is truely a plug and play for the wiring and a bolt in for the engine and transmission. I've got an appointment to put it on a chassis dyno in a couple of weeks. We play with the computer and get a good base line for future possible changes. The Ford guys think that I should change the cam to an E303 model....I don't think so. With the Volvo 3:73 gears it should get 22 to 24 MPG. For more information go to www.converseengineering.com and read all about it.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Call this place they sell rims that will fit and should be cheaper than the Volvo rims.
They even have 18"'s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts