Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's just 'his' time, anyway. The inner parts on both the edges of the trunk cover 'pull-out' sheets have broken.

Just wondering if you've heard of any kind of repair kits available for it? I talked to a car DIY store last Sunday, and in all honesty he said he wouldn't even want to give it a try as he thinks its a total goner.

What do you think, Tech? snorrih? Guys? Ladies?

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't think there is a repair kit out there.If you find one it probably won't last all that long.Check with your local salvage yard or used parts place.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... Thought so.

Guess this will be the first decommissioning of parts for my baby...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ampangbear,

the trunk rollout cover of mine has been modified before. there is now a piece of metal at the end of the roll and it is cut to fit to the end plastic caps. sorry don;t have a digicam but will try to get someway to get a picture in.

which part of kl ar you from? i am from penang, on the mainland side. so if you do drop by the island do give a hoot, and i can show you the mod.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, heeeeeeyyy...

Just the kind of 'community' I expected to make acquaintence with. So near, yet so far.

I work in Jalan Dato Onn, (the only one building here, at the junction) with the logo of the notes in your wallet.
And I live in Ampang. Elevated highway, everyday...

I just went there to Ferringhi area (corporate resort lah), just like last month.

Anyway, how exactly did you modified the 'roller'? Mind sharing?

Thanks, Kenari.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't do the mod myself.

I found the modification while I was locating the source of the "crickets" in the boot area.

But I would be happy to show you if you are in Penang again....

It is like a small pice of metal plate bent in an L shape to fit into the roller and the bit that is sticking out will make contact with the outer cover. The implementation is so simple you could laugh, when you see it.

BTW, I stay very near the Juru Toll exit. So if you do make trips up north let me know. We can meet up at the Juru Highway Autocity or even in Penang island.

You can also find me in autoworld.com and VOCM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi .You have maybe repaired your load cover by now!.
I went through 4 covers,tried different mods repairs as tech said none lasted unless you want a rough job done (ie you can see the mod)must be unseen.
What we and volvo discovered was the parts that the cover goes into were shattered at the back of the trim was breaking up.There was movement on the cover end caps therefore causing them to twist and break.Since fitting new fixings no problem.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly, dude.

In fact, I just made one 'Last Hurrah' of a try last night. Made my own mod, based on about a weeks' work of looking and understanding of how it works and how it could be fixed.

Since some of the locals also shared that there's a place nearby that fixes these things, thot I'll try the infamous cheapskate trick first before sedning it in.

Afterall, hey, why waste $$$ when you can exert sweat AND have fun in the same time, right?

Things needed:-
1) Zip ties - Small sized (3 is enough)
2) Metal pieces - Small to the width of 1.5cms and length of 10cms.
3) Nails and candles (To burn and make holes on the plastic casing)
4) A pack of cigarettes
5) High-Blowing fan
6) Gardening gloves (to protect your fingers and hands)

Argh. Forgot the photos.

Will post the photos tomorrow lah.
AHAKS.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyway, as promised.

The final finish may seem a bit 'amateurish' and I apologise for the rough look.

Hope others may find the courage to open it up, as well. (The way I looked at it, the trunk was a goner anyways, since everyone asked that I check with the stores for replacement, or even repair ==> would cost $$$) So, might as well, I give it a feel...

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyway, as promised.

The final finish may seem a bit 'amateurish' and I apologise for the rough look.

Hope others may find the courage to open it up, as well. (The way I looked at it, the trunk was a goner anyways, since everyone asked that I check with the stores for replacement, or even repair ==> would cost $$$) So, might as well, I give it a feel...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happened again, sorry for the multiple posts. I'll try to just load the photos, this time.

Sorry again.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts